Kennedy Urges Involvement

Says Economics Should Motivate Youth to Participate in Politics

By Margaret Isa, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--Rep. Joseph P. Kennedy II (D-Mass.) yesterday called on young people to become more involved with the political process, offering economic considerations as a motivating factor, in a conversation with reporters from area college newspapers.

Kennedy, who has served as U.S. Representative since 1986, criticized the economic measures taken during the Republican administrations of the 1980s.

The government borrowed against the future, spending the money that should be "discretionary income" for today's college-aged generation and leaving the country fiscally unable to tackle social problems that may arise, said Kennedy, 41.

"All that was done during the 1980s was that people just took dollars out of your spendable income in the future," Kennedy said. "Other generations have been able to start Medicaid or Medicare or other programs. Your generation is having that spendable income utilized today."

Kennedy praised the current political climate and the government's attempts to confront the nation's economic programs. "We've taken a giant step forward by coming to grips with the budget crunch," he said.

Citing "a great deal of concern about job opportunities" among young people, Kennedy called for an economic plan "that enables young people to find jobs" and recommended taking measures to provide economic stimulus to small businesses.

Kennedy stressed that young people, who currently vote at a lower proportion than all other age groups, could play a vital role in determining the political fate of the country. "Since 1968, the presidential elections could have gone the opposite way if young people had voted," he said.

The representative's district includes more than half the residents of Boston, all of Cambridge, and parts of Somerville, Chelsea and Belmont. Kennedy said he had not yet made political plans beyond completing his current term.

"I make a commitment to the people I represent that I'm going to represent them for two years, and they elect me for two years. I figure I'll wait for another few months before I make a final decision," he said.