Spikers Roll Over Roger Williams

Kim's Shoulder Hurt

By John B. Trainer

The Harvard men's volleyball team steamrolled Roger Williams in a league game last night in Providence, R.I. but lost one of its best players to injury in the process.

Harvard (17-2 overall, 6-1 league play) won easily--15-1, 15-7, 15-10--but senior Albert Kim separated his left (non-hitting) shoulder and is out for at least three weeks, according to senior Co-Captain Vince Marin.

"He won't play in our next match, but we'll have to wait for a Harvard doctor to take a look at him before we know exactly how long he'll be out," Martin said. "It's tentatively about three-weeks, though."

Kim's presence or lack thereof wasn't the deciding factor last night, though.

After demolishing the hosts in the first set. Harvard let up a bit and found itself in deeper water than it expected.

"We expected this match to be more of the 15-1 variety than the 15-10 type," junior Jon Carpenter said. "We've got to win these league matches decisively to keep on track for an NCAA bid."

Marin attributed the varying scores to the Crimson's own inconsistent play.

"It was never as close as the score might say," Martin said. "But we took ourselves out of our rhythm. We've got to establish a consistent level in practice. Right now we hit high points and low points, and we suffer for that."

Harvard's next big challenge is the Ivy League Tournament, which will be held at Harvard on April 10--by which time Kim's shoulder is expected to heal.

The Crimson will travel to MIT for a 7:30 p.m. match tomorrow.