Blaming the Messenger

President's Note

By Ira E. Stoll

An advertisement in Thursday's Crimson attacked the quality of the Crimson's editorial and news coverage. While we respect the rights of readers and sources to criticize us and to respond to our reporting and writing, we are proud of the work we do and we stand fully behind it.

The ad, placed by the so-called "Organization for a Better Newspaper," was an attempt by members of the Undergraduate Council and their supporters (who paid for the ad) to do what politicians, both student and professional, traditionally do when faced with unfavorable coverage: blame the messenger.

In the case of the Undergraduate Council, our aggressive and fair coverage has informed readers of how votes were fixed, how "Rock for Shelter" money was allocated, how student term bill contributions are spent and how women on the council are treated.

On our editorial page, we have offered provocative, strongly argued opinions about the council and the behavior of its members. And we have frequently printed letters from council leaders and members presenting opposing views.

The ad's lack of any evidence of irresponsibility on our part, combined with its street-corner language, reveal the effort as a desperate, groundless attempt to divert attention from the news (and the council) and focus it on the newspaper.

On the other hand, if you want to take the ad's message to heart and join our staff, we'd be glad to have you on board.