A Solid Defense And Eight Skilled Rookies To Boot

Youthful Players Give W. Soccer Depth

By John B. Trainer

If Michael Crichton '64, the noted technothriller author of "Jurassic Park" and "Congo," among others, wrote a preview of the women's soccer team, the dust jacket might read like this:

"OFFENSE"

Two women graduate from a team which reached the ECAC tournament for the first time in many years, but take a mysterious secret with them.

Now, two years later, Coach Tim Wheaton has just three weeks to recreate the conditions of the successful experiment that brought him a championship season, with the hopes and dreams of 24 people riding on his shoulders.

Everything goes well--until something goes wrong...

It's literary license, to be sure, but it's not so far off the truth.

Two years ago, forwards Robin Johnston '92 and Jenn Minkus '92 lifted the women's soccer team to a 9-5-1 record and a berth in the ECAC tournament. But when Johnston and Minkus graduated, they took the dynamic offense with them.

Last year, the Crimson struggled to a 5-8-2 record (2-4-1 in the Ivy League), scoring just 14 goals in those 15 games. Wheaton tried a variety of offensive sets and tactics to no avail, and the team actually tailed off in the second half of the season--finishing 1-5-2.

At least that squad was strong defensively, allowing just 20 goals in 15 games. But then star sweeper Erin Matias '93 graduated, leaving large shoes to fill.

Wheaton's solution? Start over.

A full eight of the 22 players who attended pre-season workouts were freshmen. The team's leading scorer last year (with six goals) is back, junior Libby Eynon, as is second-leading scorer (three goals) sophomore Katherine DeLellis.

"We're going to be good--I think," Wheaton said. "We are a young team, and it's hard to tell."

Youth, and a lot of it, gives the Crimson depth. But can it give them offense? Wheaton favors a 2-4-4 set (two attackers, four midfielders, four defenders), but he has not shied away from other formations.

Last year, Laurie Uustal '93 started up front as the lone attacker several times as Wheaton tried to give his midfielders more of an offensive role.

This year, the load is back on the forwards' shoulders. Besides Eynon and Kate DeLellis, Wheaton said junior Sara Simmons and freshman Rachel Chernikoff could see time up front as he tries to create the offensive spark the team needs.

The team's experience begins to show in the midfield and on defense. Co-captain Laura Flynn (one goal, two assists) is a three-year starter in the midfield, and co-captain Martha Schneider was a key to the 9-5-1 run to the ECAC tournament two years ago. Junior Beth Morgan and sophomores Megan Hall and Susan DeLellis offer added flexibility.

The defense is anchored by the third (and last) co-captain, Meg Berte and senior goalie Brooke Donahoe (1.30 goals-against-average in 1992). Juniors Genevieve Chelius (13 games in 1992) and Caroline Schreiber (10 games) and sophomore Sara Noonan are also working out on defense. Freshmen Meg Kassakian and Cara James could see playing time--illustrating both Harvard's strengths and weakness.

The strengths? Depth and a solid defense. The weakness? An untested offense.

With youth, the gamble is always that they will catch fire and produce, but the flip side isn't something Wheaton wants to think about.

The University of Guelph (Canada) travelled through New England last week, playing Harvard, Boston College and Brown. The results, Wheaton said, were encouraging: Guelph defeated BC 1-0, tied Brown 0-0, and lost to Harvard, 2-1.

It's the preseason. It means nothing. But it feels good.

"Last year was so many `what ifs,"" Wheaton said. "I feel like we never played up to our potential. This year, I want to contend for the Ivy title. It's not always in our control, but I'm pretty optimistic."

WOMEN'S SOCCER

Coach:Tim Wheaton

Captains:Meg Berte, Martha Schneider, Laura Flynn

1992 Overall Record:5-8-2

1992 Ivy Record:2-4-1

1992 Ivy Finish:5th

WOMEN'S FIELD HOCKEY: '93 SCHEDULE 9/18  Columbia  11:00 a.m. 9/19  at Maine  3:30 p.m. 9/25  at William & Mary  4:00 p.m. 9/26  vs. Geo Mason (@ W&M)  2:30 p.m. 9/29  at Boston College  3:30 p.m. 10/2  at Cornell  11:00 a.m. 10/6  Connecticut  3:00 p.m. 10/9  Pennsylvania  2:00 p.m. 10/16  at Yale  11:00 a.m. 10/19  at New Hamshire  3:00 p.m. 10/23  Princeton  11:00 a.m. 10/27  Providence  2:00 p.m. 10/30  at Dartmouth  12:00 noon. 11/3  Holy Cross  2:00 p.m. 11/7  at Brown  2:00 p.m.