Harvard Modifies Transcripts

New Look Designed To Prevent Tampering, Standardize

By Victoria E.M. Cain

Students in the throes of applying to graduate schools should note the fresh new look of their transcripts, the product of over a year's negotiation.

Last spring marked a transition from Harvard's cashier-check green transcript to an updated, tamper-free crimson and white model, University officials said yesterday.

"Security, uniformity and costs" were the reasons for the modification, according to Lee Fallontowne, director of the transcript office at the Office of the Registrar.

The primary impetus for the change is an increased effort to deter tampering, Fallontowne said.

The new safety features include the appearance of a trilingual "void" (in English, Spanish and French) if photocopied, an exceedingly complicated background graphic, a reminder that the transcripts official color is crimson on white and the appearance of "void" if ink eradicators are used.

"The new paper is more secure, more difficult to duplicate for forgeries," she said.

Associate Registrar Thurston A. Smith also hailed the merits of the new paper.

"We have gone from the least secure paper around to the most modern security aspects," Smith said. "It has security features that we don't even mention because we don't want students to know about them."

Standard Register, the company which provides the paper, creates paper for a number of security documents, such as stocks, bonds and deeds.

"It's appropriate that we use [Standard Register because] it's a company which makes pieces of paper that are worth a lot of money," Smith said. "And a Harvard degree is worth a lot of money these days."

An artificial watermark is also printed on the back side of the paper, though one must strain and tilt the page to see it.

Precaution, rather than remedy, is the rule for the new paper.

"I get very few calls from people checking up on students' transcripts," said Fallontowne. "In the last year I've gotten less than ten."

Transcript fraud does exist, Smith and Fallontowne agree, but it hasn't been a major problem at Harvard.

"At least, there haven't been too many people who have gotten caught," Smith said with a smile.

Standardization and Distinction

Previously, each school in the University had its own unique transcript.

The standardization of the new paper bolsters Harvard's unity, said Fallontowne. And as a side benefit, the bulk orders of the new transcript paper will ultimately decrease costs.

Upped security is accompanied by a more elegant look.

Transcripts now sport the same graphic as the current student identification cards, a view of the yard and the two oldest buildings on campus, Harvard Hall and Massachusetts Hall.

"It represents all of Harvard, not just the College," said Smith. "It's attractive, a very distinctive design. I've never seen a transcript with a graphic which covers the entire background, not just the middle of the page."

"I'm very pleased with the final result" said Registrar Georgene Herschbach. "[It is] worthy of Harvard University."