M. Golf Swinging in the Rain

Second Day of NE Division I Was 'Best Golf of the Season'

By Sean D. Wissman

Milli Vanilli the Harvard's men's golf team isn't.

After its performance at the New England Division I championships last week at Boston's Pleasant Meadow Country Club, the team was anything but blaming its fifth-place finish on the rain.

Ironically, in its last invitational of the season, the squad put in a mediocre performance in Thurday's ideal, 70-degree golf weather, and then put in its best performance of the season in second-round action on a dreary, drizzly Thursday.

"It was sort of odd," freshman Luis Sanchez said. "On the one hand we're little disappointed about not taking advantage of the great weather on the first day--we were really off of our game."

"On the other hand, though, our second day was great--clearly our best golf of the season."

The Crimson turned in 407 on the first day of action and a 388 on the second day for a combined score of 795.

The score was good enough for fifth overall behind first-place Rhode Island, and its second-round score was second in the tournament for the day.

"We are particularly happy with the second round," Sanchez said."It points to good things next year--everyone will be back next season who did well."

Pacing the team throughout the tournament was junior Jack Wylie. Wylie shot a 78 on the first day, and a 75 on the second for a combined score of 153. He placed 10th overall individually.

Wylie's second-day performance was particularly impressive. The Pleasant Valley Country Club is host to the PGA tour's Bank of Boston classic, and is said to be home to the largest greens on the tour. On the second day, Wylie hit 15 greens on his first shot--an extremely impressive feat.

Finishing second for the Crimson for the meet was sophomore Jun Choo.

Choo put in a solid 80 on the first day, and a 79 on the second.

One of the more impressive performances of the meet was put in by freshman Ed Boyda on the second day.

Boyda finished third on the team with an 84 for the first day and a 76 on the second for a combined score of 160. In the first nine holes on the second day he was three under par before falling off pace on the back nine.

Bringing up the rear in the meet for Harvard was freshman Luis Sanchez and sophomore Joel Radke. Sanchez shot an 82 for the first 18 and a 79 for the second for a 161 overall.

Radke shot an 83 on the first day and a 79 on the second for a 162 overall.

"In geneal, I'd say it was a pretty good meet for us," Sanchez said. "More than anything, I think we saw on the second day what type of team we can be."

The squad will finish off the season in two weekends when it travels to the Ivy League tournament in Bethpage, NY.

The Farmer's Almanac predicts showers for the weekend.