Keep Financial Aid Incentives

DISSENT

By David W. Brown

The staff unfairly criticizes the government department's use of financial incentives to attract talented under-represented minorities to its graduate program. While the department should change its policies to ensure that the financial need of all students is met, it should also continue to provide generous aid packages for minorities. The lack of a substantial number of highly educated minorities is an acute American dilemma. The government department should take whatever steps are necessary to meet this need.

The staff focuses on affirmative action as the key to achieving intellectual diversity. Intellectual diversity is important, but affirmative action is not merely a program designed to ensure that white students learn a little about the African-American experience, the Latino experience, etc. The education and advancement of under-represented minorities is the true goal of any affirmative action policy.

As W.E.B. DuBois wrote ins his essay "Of the Training of Black Men," "The foundations of knowledge in this race, as in others, must be sunk deep in the college and university if we would build a solid, permanent structure."