Double Take Mag. Will Host Reading

By Matthew W. Granade

Members of the staff of "Double Take" magazine, many of whom are Harvard graduates, will hold a community reading at the First Parish church on 3 Church Street tonight at 7 p.m.

The magazine, a literary and photography quarterly which was first published this summer, is the brainchild of Robert Coles '50, the Agee Professor of Social Ethics, and photographer Alex Harris.

According to a press release, the magazine attempts to feature many genres of writing: essays, fiction, poetry and photography.

At the presentation, contributors to the magazine will offer work from their fall issue, the second the magazine has published.

Magazine organizers said they planned tonight's event to further increase the connection between the magazine's staff and its readers.

"A year ago, we said that by producing this magazine we were attempting to create a community of readers. Now we're going one step further," said Sue Halpern, a magazine editor.

Organizers said tonight's reading is unique both for the caliber of the presenters and for the visual element.

"Usually, you don't get that many talented people at one reading," said Halpern, who will be present at tonight's event.

In addition to the writers, photographers will present slides of their work as well, she added.

Coles and Harris have worked together for 25 years at Duke's Center for Documentary Studies. "DoubleTake" is their newest attempt to "preserve and promote the documentary tradition," Halpern said.

The magazine is an "old style arts and political journal," said Susan C. Faludi '81, contributing writer and former Crimson editor.

But its "old style" is a challenge to many of today's journalistic conventions, staff members said.

"We're doing something so old fashioned it's innovative," said Bill E. McKibben '82, a contributing author and former Crimson president.

Its writers said that "Double- Take" avoids trendy and fashionable topics-that are popular among many magazines.

"The magazine is not dedicated to putting Cindy Lauper on every cover," as so many magazines are today, Faludi said.

Instead, "DoubleTake" attempts "to show the world as it is and as it might be," said writer Patrick S. Yachimski '96.

"DoubleTake" is a "stunning work with serious, thoughtful, beautiful writing and photography like we haven't seen in a generation," Halpern said.

The editors are also committed to "giving a voice to the voiceless," Faludi said, whose article in the last issue followed laid-off aerospace engineers through their struggle at the unemployment office.

The magazine also strives to give new writers and photographers an opportunity for publication.

"We're paying attention to people who are not established, people who are aspiring to do this kind of work or who just have something say," Halpern said.

"DoubleTake" innovation is due in part to its freedom from commercial and monetary pressure. It is supported by a grant from a private organization, its editors said.

According to editors, the magazine is off to a powerful start, but whether "DoubleTake" can sustain itself remains to be seen.

The magazine's success "is still an open question. Are there enough people to support the risk taking it's engaged in?" said McKibben, who will read from one of his articles tonight.

The purpose of this reading is to increase the magazine's chances of success, he said.

"We want people to go away supporting members," said McKibben