MSA Plans Trips, Panel On Affirmative Action

By Jal D. Mehta

The Minority Students Alliance (MSA) convened last night to discuss plans for the upcoming year, including an affirmative action panel and a homeless center trip.

About 15 students, most of whom were representatives from other cultural organizations, attended the group's first public meeting of the year, which was held in Boylston Hall's Ticknor Lounge.

The alliance said it plans to have four or five major events during the year, the first of which will be an affirmative action panel featuring a group of professors and student leaders.

Albert H. Khine '97, co-chair of the MSA, said that this discussion would be beneficial to all students.

"It is important for people to start talking about potentially divisive issues such as affirmative action," said Khine, who is a Crimson editor. "It promotes awareness of the issues facing different groups."

The students also proposed a one-day trip to a homeless center, to which members of all Harvard cultural organizations will be invited.

MSA Co-Chair Sheila N. Swaroop '97 said that the trip will provide a chance for people to meet each other.

"We are trying to get people together from different groups to work on a common project," she said.

Several people said they think the group provides an important function for the campus.

"[The MSA] gives us a forum to deal with inter-group controversies as they arise," said David H. Goldbrenner '96, a Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel representative who is also a Crimson editor.

Alex R. Rovira '99 said he had more personal reasons for joining.

"You get to meet diverse people, not just your own kind," said Rovira, a member of Raza who was attending his first MSA meeting.

Other MSA events planned for this year include study breaks for all members of cultural organizations, a Halloween fair featuring international candies and a spring basketball tournament with ethnically and racially diverse teams.