'Captain Crimson' Draws Mixed Reactions From Game Spectators

By Karen M. Paik

It's John Harvard! It's an Angry Pilgrim! No, it's..."Captain Crimson"?

This year's Game was the second in recent memory to feature a temporary mascot, dubbed "Captain Crimson" by band members.

Adam B. Stein '99 led cheers, started waves and mugged for the crowd, bedecked in an all-red costume featuring a Trojan-style helmet and a cape emblazoned with a large "H".

Some saw a lack of originality in the outfit. "He sort of looked like a rip-off of USC's [Trojan] mascot," said Mark R. Ragley '96.

Jerry J. Smith '96 agreed, saying "It was reminiscent of Tommy Trojan. [But] he needed a sword."

Stein approached the cheerleaders with the idea of acting as a mascot for this year's Game.

With the help of last year's "Angry Pilgrim," Rudd W. Coffey '97, and the sponsorship of cheerleader and Undergraduate Council representative Sara M. Nayeem '99, a proposal for a Game mascot was drafted and approved.

"I think he was really funny," said Nayeem. "I think it went over well."

Nayeem said that in light of past objections to the John Harvard mascot, this year the Council decided to try "something more neutral--kind of silly, kind of fun."

But "Captain Crimson" met with a somewhat lukewarm response from several students. The general consensus appeared to be that Harvard has not yet found a distinctive and suitable symbol.

"I didn't know what he way: I didn't recognize him as being [any thing]," said Christopher D. Smith '98.

However, students commended the initiative behind the mascot concept.

"I liked it," said Gerald J. Smith '96. "I didn't feel extra inspired. I found it more amusing than anything else. The effort was appreciated."

Bagley felt that the tepid response was at least partly due to a general lack of spirit.

"It has to do with the type of student going to the games. The cheer leaders try really hard but people don't get into it. It's been that way the whole season."