PBHA Solicits Support

By Peggy S. Chen

In an effort to enlist support for its quest for financial independence from the University, about 10 to 15 members of Phillips Brooks House Association, Inc. (PBHA) traveled to New Haven for The Game, according to secretary Scott McCue '96.

Some members of PBHA, the largest public service organization, put up a 40-foot banner which said "Save PBH" and distributed informational flyers at tailgate parties and at halftime, McCue said.

Gathering alumni support is particularly important for the success of PBHA resolutions, he said.

PBHA Treasurer Andrew J. Erhlich '96 said The Game was an ideal place to publicize since the event is so well attended.

"The Harvard-Yale Game is probably the largest gathering of students and alumni short of Commencement," said Erhlich.

"I think the alumni base is ultimately our strongest base. We depend on large contributions from alums," he said.

"I think that the main constituency the University administration listens to is the alumni. Obviously, they haven't listened to student concerns," said McCue. "The criticisms of 30, 40, 50-year-olds are going to be taken more seriously."

The effort by PBHA was successful, according to Erhlich.

"I was wearing a PBH hat at the time and people came up to me and asked what was going on," he said. "This is just the first step in a larger publicity campaign."

Vincent Pan '95-'96, president of PBHA, said this type of publicity is vital to the organization.

"We need to be pro-active in soliciting support," he said. "In as many forms as possible, we'd like [the issues] to be discussed."