Sophomore Featured With Mother in 'Vogue'

By Alison D. Overholt

When People Magazine dubbed activist Faye Wattleton one of the "10 Most Beautiful Women in America" of 1989, her daughter had a tough act to follow.

But Felicia M. Gordon '97 can now match her mother with a magazine accolade of her own. The daughter of former Planned Parenthood President Wattleton is cited in this month's Vogue as one of several successful young women who grew up with famous, beautiful mothers.

"I'd wake up every morning, and my mother would tell me I was beautiful," said Gordon, who is pictured in a slinky, black Richard Tyler dress in the article, entitled "Beauty's Legacy." "I'd go to sleep every night, and my mother would tell me I was beautiful."

Gordon told Vogue that her mother's success and beauty have not over-shadowed her own achievements. Because of her mother's constant support, Gordon said, she developed a sense of self-respect and independence.

But most women have not been as lucky as Gordon, according to the article.

Patti Davis, former first lady Nancy Reagan's rebel daughter, criticized her mother's stringent rules on how many cookies she could eat in her 1992 autobiography The Way I See It. And actress Lana Turner's daughter bemoaned her status as "hopelessly ugly" in her mother's eyes.

The Vogue article places Gordon in the company of other young women who have dealt well with their mothers' fame and beauty, in part because of changing women's roles which nowemphasize more than just physical appearance.

Others in the article who said they felt nopressure from their mothers' successes are IvanaTrump's daughter, Ivanka, and actress NatalieWood's daughter, Natasha Gregson Wagner.

Efforts to reach Gordon yesterday for commenton the article were unsuccessful. Gordon is aresident of North House