Epps Says That Commons Will Help College Life

Dean Says Greek Life Will Be Reduced

By Sarah J. Schaffer

The recent proliferation of sororities and fraternities at Harvard indicates a void in the College's social life that might be filled when the Loker Commons opens next year, Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said yesterday in an interview.

The Commons, scheduled to open in January, will feature a new first-year dining hall along with other student amenities meant to enhance campus life.

"[The Commons] are a planned response to a weakness in [Harvard's] social life," Epps said. "We don't think it's easy for students to meet each other."

Harvard Square used to have "laid-back" coffee houses where young intellectuals could "hang out," but the tourist trade has increasingly pushed those cafes out, Epps said.

He added that ideally the Commons would be used for interaction among students and faculty members during the week and for weekend social events.

"My main hope is for an active social life on the weekend for students," Epps said. "The Commons are designed so they could have dancing."

But Sara M. Mulholland '95, cohead of Delta Gamma, the younger of Harvard's two fledgling sororities, said that even when the Commons is finished, it will not substitute for the activities of a sorority.

"I don't think the student center is going to provide a forum for community service," Mulholland said. "I don't think [it] is going to provide a place for women to get together and bond and have fun."

But in yesterday's interview, Epps said that fraternities and sororities do not enrich students' social life.

"It's worries me, frankly, because Harvard made a decision in the 1920s to get rid of fraternities," Epps said. "To me, they still represent anti-intellectual, highly social, high-risk activities for students."

Responding to Epps' statement yesterday, members of Harvard's two sororities,whose number of pledges have been steadily rising,took issue with the dean's indictment of theirclubs.

"One of our three aims is academic," saidTeresa Y. Ou '96, president of Kappa Alpha Theta.

The mean grade point average of sororitymembers for the spring 1994 semester was 13.64,she added.

And Theta member Deanna E. Ford '97 said thatsororities can actually help students in theiracademic pursuits.

"The University in many classes, especially ineconomics, encourages study groups," Ford said.

'With a group such as ours, you can findsomeone in your class and it is a great toolintellectually.