Class of '70 Opens Reunion Web Page

By Douglas M. Pravda

The Harvard-Radcliffe Class of 1970 has set up a reunion page on the World Wide Web for alumni to access schedules, newsletters and discussion groups.

The Web is an advanced information system designed to help navigate the Internet--a global data communications network.

The page was created early this spring by Kenneth J. Roberts '70 in order for people to begin their reunion process early.

"This is the first ever Harvard/Radcliffe Reunion Web site--VERY appropriate for our precedent setting class," Roberts wrote on the home page.

"Our hope in establishing this site is to begin reaching people in a more interesting, interactive format that will encourage us to begin the actual reunion process before we all arrive in Cambridge," he wrote.

The Web site, accessible at http://netmedia.com/harvard70, contains reunion schedules for this week, an activities program for the children of class members, the text of the fall 1994 and winter 1995 reunion newsletters and a page for people to leave comments on the schedules.

It also allows people to add their names to a list if they are coming to Cambridge for the reunion so the Alumni Association can contact them to confirm details.

Finally, the Web site has a virtual forum, or electronic bulletin board set up for people to leave messages on any topic they wish, and eleven message were left.

Several people posted messages confirming their attendance or saying they wouldn't be able to go.

Robert E. Noonoo '70 wrote, "Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make it to Cambridge this June. All of my best wishes go to classmates who do attend."

And Thomas L. Bryson '70 wrote about his reflections since graduating.

"If it were not for the war I might have gone straight to grad school and pursued an academic career," he wrote. "Instead I joined a Buddhist monastery, then a Hindu monastery. Fifteen years later I returned to graduate school, got my Ph.D. in history of religions and mostly by chance ended up back at Harvard in a mostly administrative positions at the Center for the Study of World Religions."

"I'm happy with what I've done and with what I'm doing," he said.

Bryson asked whether other had similar experiences as a result of the war.

"Were others likewise deflected?" he asked.

But no one had yet responded to his inquiry on the bulletin board. In fact, five of the messages had nothing to do with Harvard.

"Open Forum could be used to support the meeting of the minds within the dutch project digital waterland," wrote one person who identified herself as Joop Veenis.