Rawlins' Campaign Investigated

But Vice President Denies Charges She Unfairly Attacked Haynes

By Peggy S. Chen

The Election Commission overseeing the ongoing Undergraduate Council elections announced late last night it was beginning a formal investigation into alleged violations by the campaign of presidential candidate Lamelle D. Rawlins '99, allegations which Rawlins denied.

The violations, if proven, could possibly lead to Rawlins' expulsion from the race, according to Yoni E. Braude '99, the press and publicity liaison for the commission.

The allegations concern a flier dropped in the program boxes of Phillips Brooks House early last week.

The anonymous flier criticized presidential candidate Elizabeth A. Haynes '98 for not voting in favor of a council resolution condemning the University for its appointment of Judith H. Kidd as director of Phillips Brooks House, and then professing support for PBH in her campaign.

No candidate has claimed responsibility for the flier, but circumstantial evidence led the commission to investigate Rawlins' campaign, Braude said.

"This is very sensitive issue and there are many emotions involved in this, but we just could not overlook the evidence," he said. "We stand by our decision."

Rawlins denied the allegations and said she had no knowledge of the evidence compiled against her.

"I unequivocally state that I have no connection with this," she said. "I would not support any campaign tactic of this low level."

Rawlins also disputed any involve- ment by members of her campaign.

"From the very beginning, I've made it clear to my volunteers that negative campaigning is unacceptable," she said.

The commission will investigate the charges, but Braude did not say when a decision will be rendered.

The evidence against Rawlins includes her access to the council roll call votes cited in the flier, additional statements made against Haynes by Rawlins at the meeting of the Bisexual Gay Lesbian Transgendered and Supporters Alliance meeting, and e-mail criticizing Haynes on the PBH issue by Rawlins' campaign treasurer, Stephen E. Weinberg '99.

"It's too early to tell who's responsible but this is the way we're proceeding right now," Braude said.

Although candidates Justin E. Porter '99 and Philip R. Kaufman '98 also had access to the records, the commission is not investigating them at this time, Braude said.

Weinberg repudiated the allegations against Rawlins' campaign.

"Clearly, if we did this, why would we be stupid enough to send an e-mail about it later?" he asked.

Rawlins' running mate, Michael A. O'Mary '99 is not being investigated with Rawlins at this time, Braude said.

"Rawlins has more to gain than O'Mary," he said. "But if in our investigation, we find links to O'Mary, he will be investigated as well."

"We ask students to do the right thing and to come forward with any information they have on this," Braude said. "It not only violates the spirit of the campaign, but it's not keeping with the spirit of the University rules as well.