Taylor, Pierson Given Tenure in Math, Gov.

By Malka A. Older

Two scholars, one from inside the University and one from Oxford University in England, have been awarded tenure.

Richard L. Taylor, Savilian Professor of Geometry at Oxford, has been appointed to a position in the Mathematics Department.

Loeb Associate Professor of the Social Sciences Paul Pierson was promoted to a full professorship in the Government Department.

Taylor said in a phone interview yesterday that he is looking forward to joining Harvard's faculty.

"I'm a little nervous about spending the rest of my life in another country, but I'm also excited," Taylor said. "It's a great math department."

Taylor, who calls himself a "pure mathematician" and has done work in number theory and representation theory, played a significant role in developing the recent solution to Fermat's last theorem, a problem that had baffled mathematicians since the seventeenth century.

Benedict H. Gross '71, professor of mathematics, commended Taylor's skills as an instructor as well as a mathematician.

"He's fantastic," Gross said. "He's young but he's a wonderful teacher already."

Taylor, who was a graduate student at Princeton, said he is pleased about the move to Cambridge.

"It seems [like] a fun place," Taylor said. "I like the sunny winters as opposed to the dark British winters."

Gross said he approved the choice of Taylor for the position.

"He's a terrific appointment for Harvard in general," said Gross.

Pierson, who is the third interior tenure promotion in the Government Department this year, specializes in American and European public policy.

Professor of Government Kenneth A. Shepsle, the department chair, said he is excited about the appointment.

"The department is very pleased that the recommendation to promote Paul Pierson to full professorship has been approved by President Rudenstine," Shepsle said. "He is an active scholar and a fine teacher."

Pierson is out of the country and could not be reached for comment