Keep Tasty, Add Others

DISSENT

By Thomas B. Cotton

The staff is correct to be concerned about the future of The Tasty. It has many loyal patrons, and its (expensive) food lives up to its name. The staff is also correct that the building which houses The Tasty desperately needs renovation. I would hope, along with the staff, that CSB can renovate the building successfully, while guaranteeing The Tasty a continued spot in it.

Nonetheless, the staff misses the point: they want to save The Tasty because it is the only 24-hour restaurant in the Square, and has been so since time out of mind. A better approach is to defend The Tasty against CSB in the name of community good will and to advocate a capitalist approach to restaurants in the Square.

Rather than passively accepting the prevailing communist outlook in Cambridge, we should encourage chains such as McDonald's and Taco protect the visual environment, these national chains need not erect their normal facades, as long as they serve good food. And then we can see just how popular The Tasty really is.