The Changing Face of the Square

By Adam S. Hickey

America's oldest University is one of the few examples of stability in one of the fastest changing--and most exclusive--retail enclaves in the northeast.

Here's an overview of notable merchant changes this year in the Square:

ALDO

From sandals to boots, ALDO is the place for "fashion forward" leather footware and accessories. That includes wide soles for men and platforms for women. Headquartered in Montreal, ALDO opened its franchise in December on JFK St. Patrons have the option of supporting AIDS research by adding an AIDS pin to their shoe purchase.

Anime Crash

"Anime Crash has landed," reads the banner outside an emporium of Asian pop culture that houses Jackie Chan movies, original animation cells, models and toys. "Anime," Japanese for "animation," opened June 8 on Mt. Auburn, near Tower Records.

Border Cafe

The most popular outlet for Mexican food in Harvard Square, The Border Cafe failed a fire inspection in December and was ordered by the Cambridge License Commission to close for three days. The cafe is appealing the decision to the Alcohol Beverages Control Commission, with a final decision expected late yesterday.

Brew Moon

John Harvard's has a challenger. Brew Moon, the Church St. restaurant and microbrewery, has a contemporary, atrium-like feel and serves nouveau Californian cuisine. Come during lunch and you can watch the brewery while you're waiting for your meal.

Curious George Goes to Wordsworth

Judy Blume meets H. A. Rey at the corner of JFK and Brattle--the store for the 10-year-old in all of us. With mock thatched eves, bamboo doors and a large tree growing out of the center of the service counter, it is the children's literary treehouse of the Square. Beyond books you can find educational toys such as "Gusher! The Geyser Construction Kit"--not for use in Harvard housing.

The Eliot Street Cafe

Dunkin' Donuts has never seen decor like this. Owner Duarte M. Carvalho says it cost $100,000 to make his branch of the franchise--elegantly named "The Eliot Street Cafe"--a high-class venture. With granite table-tops, polished wood trim and china cups, don't look for the standard pink and orange decor here.

Nevertheless, enthusiasts can still find favorites here such as munchkins and the classic jelly donut; sandwiches that are not offered by other branches are also served.

Grafton Street Pub and Grille

Named after a Dublin equivalent of Harvard Square, this restaurant combines traditional Irish cuisine with a contemporary dining atmosphere. It replaced One Potato, Two Potato on Mass. Ave. between Linden and Plympton streets.

HSA

The largest student-run corporation in America moved it's headquarters from Church Street to a corner of Mt. Auburn. Renovations of the old home of Elsie's cost $3 million to complete. Part of Let's Go Travel Agency, the linen agency and the Campus Store moved to nearby Holyoke St.

Nantucket Nectars

Tom and Tom (last names Scott and First, respectively) made a bid to bring a juice-bar to their corporate headquarters in the Square. They were opposed by both the University and a group of local residents. The city denied their application for a variance, so the duo dropped their plans.

Pho Pasteur

Vietnamese cuisine has found its way back into The Garage. Well-received by locals, the restaurant is often packed. Specialities include chicken lemmongrass, beef curry and noodle soups.

Starbucks

After a year of legal wrangling with local residents who opposed granting a special permit for a fast food license, Starbucks, the coffee giant, managed to replace Steve's Ice Cream on Church St. Housed in what was once Cambridge's first jail, it joins sister stores one located in The Garage, another on Broadway next to Broadway Market and one on Mass. Ave. and Linnaean St., near Radcliffe Quad.

Sunglass Hut

Except for the fact that it's not a hut, the name says it all. Designer sunglasses at designer prices.

The Tasty

Icon of Harvard Square and the only 24-hour eatery in the area, The Tasty is endangered by plans to renovate the crumbling Reed Block building that it calls home, now abandoned by The Wursthaus, which closed in October after 80 years.

A first draft of plans was rejected by the Cambridge Historical Commission (CHC), so the building's owner, Cambridge Savings Bank, has commissioned a second architect to make stronger efforts to preserve the building's historic feel. The CHC will make a final decision on renovation plans tomorrow, and sources involved in Harvard Square commerce say there's a very good chance Reed Block could be made a historic landmark, helping those fighting to preserve The Tasty.

Toscanini's

Toscanini's is where Japanese ichi-buns and soft-drinks meet homemade ice cream and coffee. Based in Central Square, this franchise found its home on Mass. Ave. in March replacing Ultimate Bagel. Come expecting good ice cream to go: there is little room to sit, and when it's crowded on a weekend evening, barely enough to stand.

Wrap Culture

Celery, sweet potatoes and peanut sauce are not often found in sandwiches--let alone the same sandwich. But at this nook on Mt. Auburn, don't expect the ordinary. For about five dollars you can pick from a wide variety of wrap-style sandwiches; the cafe also makes a variety of natural shakes and smoothies for those with a sweet-tooth. While you're waiting for your order, sample some sounds at the free music kiosk that lines the wall.

Yen Ching

The Kong's Mass. Ave. rival recently got a face-lift: a new ceiling was added, the carpet was relaid, wood trim was added to the front and the sign was redone to look more elegant. The restaurant had to close for about a month during renovations.