Tuition Costs Increase At Below Average Rate

By Alixandra E. Smith, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

According to a survey released by the College Board yesterday, the average cost of college tuition in the United States rose by 4 percent in the past year.

The study found the increase to be even more pronounced at four-year, private institutions, where the cost of tuition has increased by 5 percent in the same time period. But in direct contrast to this national trend, tuition costs at Harvard increased by only 3.5 percent between 1997-98 and 1998-99.

"This year's increase is lower than nearly all of the tuition increases that I have seen from our peer institutions," Jeremy R. Knowles, dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, said when he announced the tuition growth rate in late February this year.

According to Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68, the successful management of Harvard's endowment is the primary reason why Harvard has been able to keep tuition increases in check.

"Everyone is the beneficiary of gifts that have been given in the past and Harvard's success at investing those funds," Lewis wrote in an e-mail message.

Donald M. Stewart, president of the College Board, said rising college costs weigh heavily upon the average household.

"For many Americans, financing higher education is a daunting task," he said Wednesday in a speech at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. "We must encourage colleges to do even more to hold the line on rising prices."

In the past year, Harvard has risen to meet that challenge. Last year's tuition increase is the lowest in 30 years, and its effects are compounded by last month's announcement of changes in the financial aid policy resulting in an additional $9 million annually among undergraduates.

"The financial aid initiative recently announced is the most extraordinary change imaginable," Lewis said.

Regardless of these new statistics, however, Harvard still remains one of the most expensive institutions in the country. Although the percent increase in tuition is lower than the national average, the dollar increase over the past year is actually greater. The average four-year private institution charged $14,508 for tuition this year, an increase of $723 from 1997-98.

But at $31,132, Harvard's 1998-99 tuition is more than double the national average. Its tuition increased by $1,052 from last year.

"Harvard continues to be very conscious of the burden on families caused by its tuition and to be dedicated to containing cost increases as much as possible," Lewis said.