Council Provides Shuttles to Logan

By Erica R. Michelstein, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Bag-lugging, book-toting students will once again be relieved of the pre-holiday trek to Logan Airport, thanks to the Undergraduate Council.

The council is running shuttle service to the airport for most of today. Buses will pick up students at Johnston Gate every hour on the hour and in the Quad 10 minutes later from 4 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Students without reservations will be able to purchase tickets on the bus if seats are still available, a change from previous years.

"The T is incredibly hard to manage with bags, and cabs are expensive, so it provides a low-cost way for people to get home or to the airport that's pretty much hassle-free," said Campus Life Committee Vice Chair Jaylaan N. Ahmad-Llewellyn' 00.

The $2 tickets were available beginning two weeks ago in the council's office in Holworthy basement, and council members began selling them outside of the science center this past Monday.

The service began after students complained about the difficulty of getting home for the holidays, Ahmad-Llewellyn said. The council has been running shuttles for at least four years, according to council Vice President Samuel C. Cohen '00, who was campus life committee services co-chair last year.

The council helps subsidize the cost of the buses, according to Sterling P.A. Darling' 01, secretary of the council.

This year the council will provide shuttle service for one day at Thanksgiving break and two days at winter break.

The council has made slight changes to the service this year in response to complaints about last year's winter break shuttle service, in which some buses were late, some didn't arrive at the Quad, and some were overbooked.

"Basically what we've done is we've improved our record- keeping so we know exactly who's going to be oneach bus and we have a representative from ourcommittee on each bus to check tickets and makesure everything runs smoothly," said Ryan E.Dorris '00, co-chair of the Campus Life Committee.

"[We will] not leave everything up to the busdriver who doesn't understand our policies," hesaid.

The service has been growing in popularity.

So far this year the council has sold 312tickets for Thanksgiving, compared with about 260last year. Dorris said he hopes last-minute salesof empty bus seats will ultimately raise the totalto 350.

Students can e-mail feedback about theThanksgiving shuttle service to Ahmad-Llewellyn.She said the Campus Life Committee will considerany changes suggested for the winter break shuttleservice