Dukakis Stresses Grassroots Politics

By Robert K. Silverman, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Michael S. Dukakis bantered back and forth with a crowd of about 100 students in the Lowell House Junior Common Room last night, commenting on Tuesday's elections, party politics, voter apathy and a host of other issues.

The former Massachusetts governor and 1988 Democratic presidential nominee's central theme was the importance of grassroots campaigning.

"Politics is losing more and more relevance to much of America because it doesn't have a human face," Dukakis said.

"People sit on their cans and look at the attack ads on TV, and if they're not too disgusted one day they go out and vote," he said. "It's amazing what the simple act of knocking on the door can do."

Dukakis began by discussing the Nov. 3 elections, in which the Democrats gained five congressional seats.

"I'm obviously very pleased, with the exception of the Massachusetts gubernatorial race," Dukakis said. "It was a very interesting day. If the President was able to behave himself, it would have virtually guaranteed a take-back of the House."

Dukakis said to be successful in the future, the Democratic Party must focus on support at the local level.

"One of the biggest mistakes the Democrats have been making is turning away from grassroots organization," he said. "We're not going to out-raise Republicans, but we can outwork them."

The party's gains in the recent elections demonstrate the efficacy of grassroots campaigns, Dukakis said.

"What happened on Tuesday tells us it works. And imagine how much better we can do if we organize systematically," he said.

Citing his own personal experience, Dukakis said local canvassing campaigns are also an excellent way to recruit new volunteers.

"Out in Brookline, I went out every night from 6 to 9 and all day Saturday and Sunday, and invariably I'd get three to four volunteers every night," he said.

Comfortable in the presence of the Harvard-Radcliffe College Democrats (HRCD), who sponsored the event, Dukakis launched a few jabs at the Republican Party but warned against "smugness."

"It is pleasant to watch the Republicans in deep distress, but we can't be smug [about the elections]," he said.

"The Republicans aren't going to be dumb forever. Parties aren't masochists. Eventually they're going to wake up and realize something is wrong," he added.

Dukakis said the Democrats also have work to do, particularly in attracting the support of white males.

"African-Americans, Hispanics and women are the new party base," he said. "That means we have to go after white males."

"Civil rights, abortions, gay rights-white males look at these issues, and they're not especially relevant," he said.

The national press corps also attracted Dukakis' ire, because, he said, it obscures the issues and does not represent America.

"Part of the problem with national parties is that the national press corps is certifiably insane," he said.

"The election is barely warm, and they're already taking polls for 2000. When they ask about [Texas governor and presidential prospect George W. Bush], half the people think he's his old man," Dukakis added.

He concluded by encouraging the audience to pursue politics and public service.

"You can make a difference, folks. You can make an enormous difference," he said.

Dukakis, who currently teaches at both Northeastern and the University of California at Los Angeles, pointed to his own life experience as an example.

"My mission in life at this point is to get kids involved in public service. That's why I teach and speak at college campuses," he said. "I can't think of a more fulfilling way to have spent my life. It's terrific."

Audience members said they appreciated Dukakis' message, especially given his extensive political experience.

"He's been there as the leader of our party, and he'll always be a voice in Democratic politics," said Joe Sanberg '01, events chair for HRCD.

"He's a great speaker, and an inspiring voice for young people," added Sanberg, who is also vice president for the College Democrats of Massachusetts.

Dukakis' informal style and sense of humor also appealed to the audience.

"He really connected with most of the audience," Ali A. Valenzuela '02 said. "He had us riveted."

A Swarthmore College graduate, Dukakis could not leave without a few digs at Harvard.

"What makes a great teacher? They should care deeply about their students, have an enthusiasm for their subject, and their door should always be open," he said. "Does this happen at Harvard? No. That's why you're all paying $37 billion a year to go here."