W. Basketball Heads to Lone Star State

By Rahul Rohatgi, Crimson Staff Writer

The women's basketball team starts its 1999-00 season tonight in San Antonio as it competes in the University of Texas- San Antonio Tip-off Tournament against two teams it has never faced.

Tonight, the Crimson will take on Stephen F. Austin in a match-up that can succinctly be described for Harvard as "extremely tough."

The Ladyjacks are a perennial Southland Conference powerhouse that last year went 15-11 to make the NCAA tournament.

Saturday, Harvard meets host Texas-San Antonio (UTSA). After coming off a horrendous 6-20 season, the Roadrunners are looking to regroup under new Coach Jeff Dow.

"These are two teams I don't know much about," Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney-Smith said Wednesday. "Stephen Austin is the classic 'run 'n' gun' offense, but I'm still watching tapes of San Antonio."

The Crimson will have to overcome some injuries and suspect defensive play that's been brought out in practices and an exhibition match versus Slovenia. A young team, loaded with height and talent but lacking experience, the Crimson has led Delaney-Smith to criticize the team defense over the last week.

"Our defense has holes," Delaney-Smith said. "Individual defense is there, but teamwork's been missing. We don't back each other up."

Minor injuries have also affected play during the last weeks of practice and scrimmage. Senior guard Courtney Egelhoff, junior guard Kristen Boike and sophomore forward Katie Gates, among others, have all been hit with some form of injury. Delaney-Smith still isn't sure who will be starting or playing. Also, senior forward Laela Sturdy will miss Friday's game due to another commitment.

One aspect of the game Delaney-Smith has no concerns over is the offense.

"We can score--that's not a problem," she said. "We get in positions right and we get things done."

The Crimson is a huge underdog against Stephen F. Austin. Ladyjack forward Shawnta Johnson leads the offensive attack while senior guard Stephanie Whitmore chips in with assists and steals.

A more experienced and deep team, Stephen F. Austin shouldn't have a problem against Harvard.

The UTSA Roadrunners have mostly new faces and a new coach who will try to reverse last year's disappointing record. Last season, while the team was able to hold its opponents' shooting percentage to 43%, it ranked last in the Southland Conference in offensive shooting percentage and points scored.

The Roadrunners are led by senior forward Keelah Wilson, the team's leading shot blocker, who will have the difficult task of leading ten new players into battle.

"I think we need to play well, the outcome is secondary this early in the season," Delaney-Smith said. "We didn't feel good after the exhibition. Kate Ides and the other freshmen weren't as relaxed as they could be."

The freshmen will be an integral part of the Crimson attack, especially in light of some tough breaks for upperclassmen. Harvard recruited a class of tall, aggressive rookies who will figure heavily into the rotation.

Delaney-Smith will stick to the traditional man-to-man defense, occasionally reverting to an aggressive zone. It will also capitalize on its size by using its triangle offense, which relies on quick passes and decision-making. To keep players fresh, Delaney-Smith will rotate often and get the most of her players' quality minutes.

Traveling all the way to Texas, the farthest road trip the Crimson is scheduled to make this year, to start the season against some strong opponents may not appear to be in the best interest of a young team. But Delaney-Smith thinks the exact opposite.

"I think it's great to start out in Texas instead of going there in, say, midseason," she said. "We're capable of winning. We need to get some energy in our defense."