Chief Chef Instructs Seniors in Joy of Cooking

By Tova A. Serkin, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Most undergraduates never get to see the inside of Harvard Dinning Services' central kitchen located on JFK Street, but a small group of seniors are learning its ins and outs. For the first time, seniors have the opportunity to learn the basics of food preparation from an expert--executive Chef Michael Miller.

"This is sort of like having an audience with the Pope," said Chad L. Wolfe '99, one of nine students in this week's course, the first of four being offered.

The $25 course consists of five sessions and covers all of the basics--from an introduction to the oven to more advanced cooking with local celebrities.

Materials for the course include Miller's own sourcebook, "Cooking for the Culinarily Challenged," as well as The Kitchen Survival Guide by Lora Brody. The texts share tips on how to unpack groceries and demystify the difference between baking and broiling.

"You can ask the Harvard student body," said David B. Grossman '99. "Ninety percent of them wouldn't know the difference."

Though the lessons--which includes a survey of kitchen appliances--might seem too easy, the students attending the class say they have learned a lot so far.

"It was good to hear the basics," said Jaclyn B. Ward '99. "There were things I wouldn't have thought of."

Miller agreed that choosing among different brands of food and picking out produce might be "unfamiliar territory" for many students. After sharing his own expertise, Miller brings in produce experts from Costa Produce, the company from which Harvard buys its fruits and vegetables, who share inside secrets on how to pick out fresh food.

The course is so popular that it is nearly sold out. Miller points to a need at Harvard for classes on everyday necessities like cooking.

He has heard students coming back from vacation thankful that they no longer have to cook their own meals.

"One comment I always hear from returning students is that they are happy to be back in a dining hall," Miller said.

His students agreed, saying that going out into the real world will be easier with preparation.

"Next year will be the first time in my life that someone won't be cooking for me," said Beau V. Duwe '99. "I'm not going to want to eat take-out every night."

The six men and three women in the class praise their instructor as well.

"He's the bomb," Ward said. "He knows everything, and he makes you feel comfortable enough to ask questions."

Miller said he is also teaching the course in order to have more contact with students. Advertisements for the course, penned by Miller, urged seniors to sign up. "Those table tents," he said, "what I wrote on them was from the heart."