Duehay Asks for Endorsement

BRIEFS

By Meredith B. Osborn

Cambridge Mayor Francis H. Duehay '55 will ask the city council next week to endorse a state bill that could mean a financial windfall for local health programs.

The legislation would earmark money from state tobacco settlements for cities and towns--sending 40 percent of the $280 million received by the state annually to community health programs.

Cambridge's cut of that roughly $114 million would be much smaller.

"I think it would be in the neighborhood of half a million a dollars," Duehay speculated.

Cambridge might receive more money because it is a city, according to the mayor, because cities generally have more health problems than towns and more rural areas.

He said $500,000 would be significant for many local programs.

Duehay argued that community based health programs and initiatives should receive the funds because they have been so successful in improving health across the boards.

The kind of programs aided by the bill would not only address tobaccorelated health problems, but also such areas as nutrition, AIDS prevention, violence prevention and mental health services.

If Cambridge received the money to fund these programs, Duehay said the city would probably first focus on tobacco control and substance abuse treatment programs.

"It is pretty clear that substance abuse in general follows from the use of tobacco," Duehay said.

The money would be distributed by the Cambridge Health Alliance, which divvies out the $7 million it receives annually from the city to various community programs and health services.

Duehay does not expect any opposition from city councillors in asking for the endorsement, but worries there may be a struggle getting the bill passed in the state legislature.

The state has an anti-tobacco program of its own, as well as a large health program overall.

"They have important programs also....They may wish to keep the money for themselves," Duehay said,

When the bill comes up for debate in the legislature, "The effectiveness of various programs operating at the local and state levels will be discussed and will be part of the judgement made in regards to the use of the money," Duehay said.

Councillors will vote on Duehay's resolution at the next regular meeting of the city council on Feb. 22.

There is no hearing set on the legislation, but Duehay said the city council will be notified when the bill comes up for consideration in the state House and Senate. In the meantime he said he would contact state legislators about the bill and Cambridge's proposed endorsement of it.