Golden Gloves Title Goes to Liu

HARVARD BRIEF

By Tova A. Serkin

In only her third competition, Joy J. Liu '99, president of the Harvard Boxing Club, became a Golden Gloves champion Friday.

This is the second time Liu has earned the coveted title.

Liu, an Eliot House resident, started boxing in the spring of her sophomore year. She practices five days a week, usually for about two hours a day.

"It feels good to win," Liu said. "It always does."

Liu won the title last year in a novice competition, and as a result she now competes in open fights, where anyone between the ages of 18 and 32 can compete.

The Golden Gloves is one of the most prestigious all-amateur boxing titles. Friday's competition, held in Lowell, Mass., pitted Liu against the only other woman in her division--"a tough competitor," in Liu's words.

"It was good fight, and I definitely think I am a better fighter," Liu said, "but I didn't fight as well as I could have."

After gaining experience in the ring during competition, Liu said she does not get as worried about tournaments as she once did.

"I was nervous, but not like I was last year," Liu said. "When you're waiting [to fight], you get nervous, but last year I got nervous a week before."

Liu is currently recovering from a broken rib sustained during sparring practice last week.