Schor Will Speak at Alternative Commencement Address

HUPD chief warns rally organizers of U.S. Secret Service presence

By Robert K. Silverman, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Daniel R. Morgan '99, one of the primary organizers of today's counter-Commencement rally, met with University Police Chief Frances D. "Bud" Riley yesterday. At the meeting, Riley said he had "complete faith" that the protest would be respectful, but cautioned demonstrators to be wary of U.S. Secret Service agents.

"[Riley said] we are dealing with security forces beyond the Harvard police department, namely the Secret Service," Morgan said.

Organizers said they will stage a "highly visible but non- disruptive" protest during the morning graduation exercises. They plan to walk out on Ferderal Reserve Chair Alan Greenspan's afternoon speech and hold a "counter-Commencement" at Holyoke Center, sponsored by the Progressive Student Labor Movement (PSLM) and the Coalition Against Sexual Violence.

In accordance to University procedure, protest organizers hope their actions will preserve the "democratic process" by providing an alternative to today's Commencement speaker.

"No form of protest is allowed in Tercentenary Theater--we can't hold up banners, we can't carry signs," said coalition member Rosslyn Wuchinich '99. As a result, Wuchinich said, they will stage the bulk of their activities for outside of Harvard Yard.

Morgan, a PSLM member, met with Riley to discuss security issues surrounding the protest.

Morgan described the tone of the meeting, which lasted for about 30 minutes, as "very cordial." According to Morgan, Riley unofficially condoned the protesters' tactics, but warned them not to be "threatening" in any way.

"As far as (Riley) was concerned, every thing we were doing for the Greenspan protest was legal and legitimate and that he saw no problem in it," Morgan said. "He just wanted to warn us about the Secret Service, and to be especially careful not to be threatening in any way."

Morgan said he also met with Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III earlier in the week. The meeting, while accidental, led to a discussion of the protest, during the course of which Morgan refused to divulge concrete plans for the morning demonstration.

"I had talked to them and I don't know what they are planning," Epps said. "Weassume the protests will be acceptable and willnot disrupt Commencement. We are prepared to workwith the organizers to ensure a peaceful andpleasant occasion."

Epps said he spent much of yesterday attemptingto contact protesters, but learned no newinformation.

"I think it's best that no one be surprised,"he said.

After leaving Greenspan's speech, theprotesters will gather at Holyoke Center to hear aseries of speeches.

Lecturer on Women's Studies Juliet B. Schorwill address the crowd, as will two students, whohave not yet been selected. Wuchinich said thatdepending on the size of the demonstration, otherparticipants may have the opportunity to speak.

Organizers said they still hope that FletcherUniversity Professor Cornel R. West '74 willspeak, but he was on a flight late last night andcould not be reached by protesters.

Professor of Law Lani Guinier '71, whoorganizers also hoped will speak, will be out oftown for Commencement; and Warburg Professor ofEconomics, Emeritus John Kenneth Galbraith willnot be able to attend due to illness.

Schor said she will speak in protest ofGreenspan's economic policies.

"The Feds have taken a view of economic policythat favors a specific population, specificallyWall Street," she said.

She said she will talk about the unequaldistribution of wealth in society and its effecton lower-wage workers.

"It's important to put forward an alternativeview to what's happening in the economy, contraryto the mainstream view," she said