For a Good Time

It appears that Harvard, that venerable institution of refined sensibilities, has a sense of humor. Three attractive first-years, Emily Stevens,
By Anais A. Borja

It appears that Harvard, that venerable institution of refined sensibilities, has a sense of humor. Three attractive first-years, Emily Stevens, Kim Smith and Megan Marks, have found themselves in the center of an FDO conspiracy. The girls in question aren’t exactly inconspicuous. Their well-groomed exteriors of manicured nails and glossy lips make them visible in any crowd. Furthermore, these girls are roommates. You may have seen them around the Yard or noticed themwalking in tandem back to their Thayer suite. However, it may not be apparent that these girls share something special—something their mothers might blush to know. Their phone number is 3-3825 or 3-FUCK. And, many freshman claim that these three act the part.

One would love to give the FDO the benefit of the doubt and protest that the idea of configuring a dorm based on physical appearance and bedroom style is abhorrent and rooted in antiquated notions of male egotism. The girls themselves aren’t quite as cynical but they do capitalize on their instant celebrity.

In an interview, Megan claims that she receives much attention from upperclass men. They described a typical weekend night as involving getting together with roommates, grabbing a bite to eat at the Berg, and then heading off to the final clubs or room parties. Megan added, “the hottest and funniest guys to chill with are the varsity tennis players and swimmers.” When asked if they felt exploited or objectified, Emily exclaimed that she thought it was not offensive but flattering.

They claim that they are “wholesome girls” with only minor indiscretions to speak of. Megan has “only hooked up with one guy since being at Harvard.” In fact, while this interview was conducted there were swarms of men buzzing about their Thayer hive. Boys of all shapes and sizes, though mostly upperclass men, were represented. Emily graced the lap of one.

Megan Marks (the Cameron Diaz look-alike), is interested in much more than just boys; in fact, she is considering a career in Applied Math or Engineering. Kim Smith, the track star, enjoys cross-country and might concentrate in Economics. And Emily, the Coxswain, enjoys photography.

In the annals of collegiate tomfoolery this incident is bound to be remembered. The attention that the number has generated will only increase as the year progresses. There are, however, negative consequences to their dubious claim to fame. The girls admit that they are aware of “jealously among other girls” and feel that the “mystique” does have its drawbacks. Whatever the negative implications of this uncanny “coincidence,” one cannot deny the appeal of having such a groovy phone number.

For The Moment