Letters

Sports Unfairly Targeted

Letter to the Editors

By Daniel M. Sirotkin

To the editors:

Contemptuous and manipulative newspaper columns might be even more disturbing than the idea that Harvard’s athletes will choose to ignore a policy that would infringe upon their dedication and commitment to sport (Op-Ed, “Let the Athletes Take a Break,” Oct. 30).

The point that Luke Smith ’04 makes, that athletes negatively affect the social cohesion of Harvard, and that the quotes from a tiny sample of athletes totally encompass Harvard’s athletic community, are so inane and dissociated from reality that perhaps we should consider closing The Crimson for seven weeks to give some editors a much-needed respite from their tireless dedication to journalism.

The unwillingness of athletes to follow policies that have been imposed on them by a bunch of presidents and their thirst to stay within the confines of their sport should be praised, not chided. The very fact that athletes are willing to limit their social life and sacrifice their studies is precisely why athletes form such a necessary niche in Harvard’s community.

Just as a love of music brings musicians together in cliques, a love of their shared culture brings ethnic groups together, and a love of public service brings volunteers together, love of sport brings athletes together. Each offers a public forum for the community to gather together: concerts, cultural nights, public service projects and athletic events. Passing judgment on which clique and respective offering is more or less valuable to the community assumes knowledge not granted to Harvard undergraduates.

Suggesting that self-segregation is a phenomenon unique to athletes, and that athletes aren’t interested in friendships with other students, is silly. Some athletes choose to block and socialize predominantly with other athletes; some social groups, whether based around ethnicity or extracurricular interest, choose to block and socialize predominantly with each other; each are aspects of any society, and none are inherently problematic. Human societies function in such a manner, and a simple fact of life is that people tend to choose to spend time with others who share their interests.

Using the words of a miniscule sample of athletes as the crux of arguments against a larger population is egregiously misleading. Regardless of the accuracy of these statements, the idea that the words of a few individuals, taken out of context, properly portray Harvard’s athletes shows a lack of integrity. The blatant disdain Smith and his ilk have shown for “under-qualified athletic recruits” is the source of embittered statements by individual athletes, which don’t portray the sentiment of Harvard’s athletes at large.

Members of publications, performing arts groups, cultural clubs, public service organizations and athletic teams all dedicate countless hours to their causes. No policy has called for “dead time” for any of these groups, and it is ignorant and unfair for athletes to be singled out.

Daniel M. Sirotkin ’05

Oct. 30, 2002

The writer is a member of the varsity wrestling team.

Letters