New Student Group Brings Golden State to Loker Commons

Bravely sporting beach attire, Californians present their vision for state solidarity

By Lisa M. Puskarcik, Contributing Writer

Flip-flops, tank tops and shorts were the uniform of choice yesterday as the California Club—the newest undergraduate club based on state residence—convened for its inaugural meeting in Loker Commons.

Dominique D. Nong ’05, one of the five founders of the group, said she and fellow Californians Camilo E. Becdach ’05, Caleb I. Franklin ’05, Monoah K. Koletty ’05 and George W. King ’05 began e-mailing each other about starting a club last summer.

They secured a grant from the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations and drafted a constitution earlier this fall.

At last night’s meeting, the founders shared their ambitious agenda with nearly 50 fellow Californians who braved the December chill to celebrate the club’s formation in proper West Coast style.

Becdach said the group was looking into discounted group airfares for Californians, while Franklin said students need access to better information about internships in the state.

He said he hopes to work with Office of Career Services to solicit information about job opportunities from West Coast companies.

Additional club plans include a cold weather shopping trip for Californians to buy winter clothing at outlet stores, as well as California political and cultural awareness campaigns, according to Nong.

Nong also outlined a vision of guiding Californian pre-frosh to choose Harvard over West Coast colleges, suggesting a California “big sib” mentoring program.

Koletty, who sported sandals, shorts and a “Home Grown Compton” t-shirt, discussed plans for California Club parties.

Throughout Koletty’s remarks, enthused Californians shouted phrases like “So Cal” and “Yeah Lakers” in support of his ideas.

Nong said the group’s energy and spirit were uniquely Californian.

“There’s a common consensus that you can tell who [at Harvard] is from California and who’s not,” Nong said.

Those from California said they were excited about the club’s social potential.

Sari M. Poage ‘05, who served as Miss Teenage San Diego in 2001, said she looks forward to bonding with people who “understand” California—who, for example, could share her memories of high school class cancellations for good surfing weather.

The California Club joins a slew of state-pride groups formed by students from Minnesota, Hawaii, Texas and New Jersey.

Franklin said that he doubts that the California Club could inspire a Harvard version of an East Coast-West Coast rivalry.

“The thing about California is that it’s all about love,” he said.

Both Nong and Franklin were also quick to note that the California Club is open to all students—with one small caveat.

“You just have to have the California mentality,” Nong said.