Letters

Work Study Teaches Important Lessons

Letter to the Editors

By Brian J. Hayes

To the editors:

I would like to respectfully disagree with The Crimson’s assertion that Harvard should eliminate the work-study component of financial aid packages.

In my two and a half years here, I have found Harvard to be diverse in all areas except one—work experience. The typical Harvard student spent their high school summers going to various “gifted” camps and now as a college student spends his or her free time volunteering for various extracurricular activities. The lack of work experience among a group of people who will conceivably be the leaders of tomorrow is frankly appalling.

The Crimson identifies academic and extracurricular activities as “arguably the most beneficial aspects of college life.” How can work experience not be included among these? Few among us will pursue careers in academia or in our extracurricular interests. Learning the value of a dollar, however, is one of the most important lessons in life, and one way this can be achieved is by having students contribute to the cost of their education.

More financial aid is generally a good thing, but in the case of work-study programs, more direct aid would be less beneficial to Harvard students in the long run. Any improvements in aid packages should focus on the reduction of loans.

Brian J. Hayes ’03

Feb. 27, 2002

Letters