HBR Publisher Steps Down

Company reorganization plan leads to resignation

By Alexander J. Blenkinsopp, Crimson Staff Writer

The publisher of the Harvard Business Review (HBR) stepped down from her post Monday, less than three months after HBR Editor Suzy Wetlaufer ’81 resigned due to revelations of her affair with the CEO of General Electric (GE), whom she was interviewing for a profile in the magazine.

Penelope Muse Abernathy, 50, who became publisher of HBR in 1999, also served as publisher of Harvard Business School Publishing (HBSP), HBR’s parent organization. Her resignation follows “a reorganization that has discontinued the divisional structure of the company,” according to a written statement released Monday by HBSP.

Before the public learned of Wetlaufer’s affair with GE CEO Jack Welch, who was the subject of a profile piece Wetlaufer was writing, Abernathy had called for Wetlaufer to be placed on a leave of absence during HBR’s investigations of the relationship.

Sarah McConville, a spokesperson for HBSP, denied any connection between Wetlaufer’s plight and Abernathy’s resignation.

“In the new structure, there were two senior executives who did not see opportunities with the company,” McConville said. “[Abernathy’s] resignation was only due to the re-org.”

HBSP also announced on Monday the resignation of its senior vice president, Jonathan A. Winder.

Director of the Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy and Kennedy School of Government Lecturer in Public Policy Alex S. Jones, who worked with Abernathy at The New York Times and regards himself as a good friend of hers, said that Abernathy’s resignation may have been part of HBSP’s reaction to Wetlaufer’s affair.

When asked about whether Abernathy’s resignation was connected to the Wetlaufer incident, Jones replied, “I think that she feels that her departure was linked to that.”

A source close to HBR, who wished to remain anonymous, said that Abernathy’s resignation “has to do with corporate politicking.”

The source said that Abernathy was “forced” to resign, for two likely reasons.

"Number one, she was a threat to Walter Kiechel. Number two, she was a reminder of the mishandling of Suzy’s reckless behavior,” the source said.

Kiechel is senior vice president of the HBSP who, according to the source, viewed Abernathy as a potential future rival for the CEO post.

David A. Wan took over as CEO of HBSP in April, less than a week before Wetlaufer resigned.

But McConville reiterated that Abernathy’s resignation was due solely to the restructuring of HBSP.

The source also said that Abernathy’s reasoning for encouraging Wetlaufer to be placed on a leave of absence was based on self-interest.

“I’m sure she used this as an opportunity for advancement,” the source said. “She was not a Suzy fan.”

Abernathy’s only comment came in an official HBSP written statement.

“HBR is a strong global publishing brand. I have enjoyed my time here and feel the publishing team has accomplished a great deal,” the statement read.

Cathryn C. Cranston will move up from associate publisher to fill Abernathy’s vacated position.

—Staff writer Alexander J. Blenkinsopp can be reached at blenkins@fas.harvard.edu.