Letters

Applaud Summers’ Courage

Letter to the Editors

By Stephen L. Rabin

To the editors:

President Summers should be applauded for his courageous remarks about the rise in anti-Semitism amongst anti-Israeli movement.

There is a frightening trend among radical college activists and professors, who have insisted on blaming the Israelis completely for a conflict in which both sides have committed unfortunate acts.

When the U.S. defends itself against al Qaeda in Afghanistan, these same radical activists are silent. When the U.S. supports the Turkish government, which violently suppresses the Kurdish people and their human rights, these activists are silent. When the U.S. gives aid to the Russian government and looks the other way at Russia’s actions in Chechnya, these activists are silent. However, when Jewish people in Israel defend themselves against people who are trying to wipe an entire population into the sea, these same people are up in arms.

It took courage for Summers to make comments for which many are bound to criticize him. That’s leadership by example and he should be commended.

Stephen L. Rabin

Boston, Mass.

Sept. 20, 2002

The writer is a fourth year student at the Kennedy School of Government.

Letters