Senior Class Committee Endorses Video

By Andrew C. Campbell, Crimson Staff Writer

A group of seniors gained official support for their senior class video Friday when the Senior Class Committee (SCC) voted to promote the video to students and parents.

The producers of the video had claimed the support of the SCC before Friday’s decision, despite not having gained the committee’s official endorsement.

The committee will try to rally support for the video among seniors, according to First Class Marshal Krishnan N. Subrahmanian ’03.

“We’ll be helping them get as many people involved with the video as possible,” Subrahmanian said. “We’re going to get the word out that this is going on. If people want to be in the video, they will be.”

The committee will receive a gift from the video makers in return for its support, according to Subrahmanian. He declined to disclose the size of the gift.

Michael D. Cornish ’03, who is helping to make the video, said last week that the producers of the video plan to keep the profits from the video’s sales.

Subrahmanian said that a flyer about the video would be sent to parents with an SCC mailing and that the flyer would be available at committee-sponsored t-shirt sales.

Senior Class Treasurer Rudrabhishek Sahay ’03, who is also a Crimson editor, said that the flyer would make clear that the video is a for-profit venture supported by the senior class.

“The flyer makes very clear all the details,” he said.

Subrahmanian worked out an agreement with the makers of the video, and the SCC voted via e-mail to approve the arrangement.

Subrahmanian would not disclose the exact result of the vote, but said it was not close.

The video had advertised itself as affiliated with the SCC both on its website and in an e-mail to Adams House seniors before it got official support Friday.

Cornish declined to comment for this story.

Luke R. Long ’03, a producer of the video and a member of the SCC, could not be reached for comment last night.

Subrahmanian said there is no ill will between the SCC and the video makers over the premature claim of endorsement.

“I don’t think it was ever a big deal, he said. “From the beginning they were in contact with us. It was never ‘Oh, they’re going behind our back.’”

—Staff writer Andrew C. Campbell can be reached at acampbel@fas.harvard.edu.