Students Discuss Sexual Violence

By Monica M. Clark, Crimson Staff Writer

A discussion entitled “Violence in the Lives of Black Women” marked the third night of events as part of Harvard’s annual Take Back the Night (TBTN) week, an initiative to increase awareness about sexual violence.

Activities scheduled for the week include a clothesline display of t-shirts with testimonials from assault victims and co-sponsored events such as last night’s discussion with Dr. Carolyn M. West, associate professor of psychology at the University of Washington, Tacoma.

In her discussion yesterday, West said issues of sexual violence that particularly affect the black community include sexual myths about African-Americans and the lingering effects of slavery.

“Violence is at the root of many mental health problems and I believe if we could address domestic violence and sexual assault we could solve a lot of society’s problems.” West said. “Some of these issues are so painful for us to talk about that we are often silenced.”

Eleanor D. Thompson ’05, who attended West’s talk in the Lowell House Junior Common Room, said that participating in the event was a valuable experience.

“She has brought in things we never would have thought of through the images [she showed in her presentation].” Thompson said.

And West praised the students who attended her talk for their willingness to be open about sensitive issues.

“I’m so happy to see everyone here because it’s so easy to be in denial and not to talk about violence.” West said. “I’m glad to see what you guys are doing.”

The discussion was co-sponsored by black groups on campus including the Association of Black Harvard Women and the Black Men’s Forum.

TBTN co-chair Kate M. Kronish ’04 said the clothesline, which is located outside the Science Center this week, is an anonymous outlet for victims of sexual violence and their friends to share their stories with a large audience.

“It is so haunting to hear these voices and to know they are my friends and my peers, but it is also nice that people who don’t necessarily come out to the events see these things,” Kronish said.

According to TBTN Co-Chair Christina H. Cheuk ’06, the highlight of the week will be the candlelight vigil—scheduled for 7 p.m. tomorrow on the steps of Memorial Church—which has been a trademark of TBTN since it began over 15 years ago.

“It’s a place where members of the Harvard community can share their experiences in a safe environment.” Cheuk said.

—Staff writer Monica M. Clark can be reached at mclark@fas.harvard.edu.