UC To Withdraw From Ivy Council

By Liz C. Goodwin, Crimson Staff Writer

The Undergraduate Council (UC) voted Monday to withdraw from an Ivy League-wide forum for student governments because members said it is a waste of the UC’s money and members’ time.

At the final meeting of the semester, Harvard’s Head Delegate to the Ivy Council Samita A. Mannapperuma ’06, who sponsored the bill, said it was hard to motivate other schools to be productive at the meetings.

“Nothing really has happened tangibly,” Mannapperuma said.

The UC withdrew from the Ivy Council several years ago, citing similar complaints of inactivity, but decided to rejoin last spring after members of the Ivy Council Executive Board spoke to the UC.

UC Secretary and Ivy Council Delegate Matthew R. Greenfield ’08 argued vociferously against the UC’s removal from the forum.

“How arrogant are we?” Greenfield yelled. “I don’t understand where we got the impression that we can do this whole thing alone.”

The UC allocated $1,529.40 for involvement in the Ivy Council this year and was slated to host next year’s conference at Harvard.

The bill to withdraw from the Ivy Council passed 19-4-4. The 27 members voting on the bill just exceeded the 26 required to be present for a vote, as the UC fought to maintain a quorum for its fourth consecutive reading period meeting.

Yale’s Head Delegate to the Ivy Council Wells O’Byrne ’07 said that Yale will give the Ivy Council “a chance” but that he understood the UC’s decision to withdraw.

“This is a rebuilding year for them and we owe it to them to stick with it and see what can happen,” said O’Byrne.

The UC also passed a bill Monday calling for increased availability of first-aid kits campus-wide. The proposal, which has been discussed by the College’s Safety Committee, will now be considered by the Committee on House Life, according to UC President Matthew J. Glazer ’06.

At the end of the meeting, Glazer said that the 68 pieces of legislation adopted this semester surpasses any known UC record.

In wrap-up speeches, UC leaders touted bills that advocated for modified blocking groups and extending dining hall and library hours as effecting change for the student body this semester.

“In only five months, think about all the work we’ve done,” Glazer said.

Finance Committee Chair Blake M. Kurisu ’06 said that his committee had awarded 1,088 grants to student groups this year.

Despite the mood of accomplishment, the after-effects of the abrupt resignation of former Vice President Ian W. Nichols ’06 seemed evident in some representatives’ closing remarks at Monday’s farewell meeting.

Student Affairs Committee (SAC) Chair Aaron D. Chadbourne ’06 advised the UC not to give in to political bickering in years to come.

“The times that the Council has been at its worst have been when its members lose sight of why we’re all here, what we are doing, and get bogged down in political infighting, maneuvering, and jockeying behind the scenes that creates the type of uncomfortable atmosphere that characterized the events leading up to and following the resignation of our Vice President last week,” he said.

Chadbourne announced last week that he would not be seeking re-election to the UC after six semesters, after some said that he had planned to seek the vacated vice presidential office.

Justin R. Chapa ’05—who was inducted on Monday into the UC Hall of Fame, an honor accorded to one senior member each year—reiterated Chadbourne’s advice.

“Put those personal animosities aside,” Chapa said to the UC. He added that in his experience on the UC, political motivations could prevent members from being friends.

Glazer said after Chapa’s remarks that this has been the “friendliest year” he’s served on the UC.

“It’s always better when after the debate’s over we can all walk home together,” Glazer said.

UC member Laura C. Settlemyer ’05 received the Coffey-Rollert award for outstanding service, and informal legislation was passed to commend the UC’s seniors.

—Staff writer Liz C. Goodwin can be reached at goodwin@fas.harvard.edu