Yard By Yard

At a Glance: Four Years of Clifton Dawson

By Crimson Sports Staff

From his time in the Yard to his all-time rushing yard record, the Clifton Dawson Archive (abridged):

FIRST-YEAR PHENOM

Just days after beginning his first semester here, Dawson, a transfer student from Northwestern, scores his first Crimson profile.

“I really love blocking and having a good day for the offensive line,” he tells The Crimson’s Allison D. Bates.

Bates continues:

But don’t misunderstand Dawson’s humility and think he doesn’t want to rack up yards and run in touchdowns for the Crimson. “I still care about my stats,” Dawson said.

Not like he has anything to worry about in that department.

‘ROOKIE OF THE YEAR’

Dawson
is disqualified from the Ivy League Rookie of the Year competition because he was a redshirt at Northwestern. But he sets Ivy freshman records for rushing yards and touchdowns.

‘I DON’T THINK HE’S DIFFERENT’

Sophomore Dawson breaks the Harvard records for both single-season rushing touchdowns and single-season touchdowns in a win over Princeton. But Tigers’ linebacker Zak Keasey is unconvinced. “I don’t think he’s different from any other back we’ve faced this year,” he tells The Crimson.

‘THE GREATEST INDIVIDUAL HONOR I’VE EVER RECEIVED’

Dawson
is named a First-Team All-American. “It’s the greatest individual honor I’ve ever received,” Dawson tells The Crimson.

TAILBACK ON TOP

Junior Dawson sets the all-time Harvard rushing record with 3,335 career yards, besting the mark set by Chris Menick ’00.

TOUCHDOWN!

Dawson
’s overtime two-yard touchdown run caps one of the most dramatic Harvard-Yale Games in the history of the rivalry. In doing so, he “cements his hero status."