Gen Ed Task Force: Debate ‘Constructive’

Authors call Faculty meeting ‘a substantive, intellectual conversation’

By Johannah S. Cornblatt, Crimson Staff Writer

The authors of the latest report on general education responded yesterday to criticism of their proposal at Tuesday’s Faculty meeting, calling the debate “constructive” and a welcome contrast to previous meetings that were overshadowed by the University’s leadership crisis.

“After the past two years, it felt great to have a substantive, intellectual conversation,” said Professor of Philosophy Alison Simmons, a co-chair of this year’s Committee on General Education.

Tuesday’s meeting offered faculty the first chance to discuss the committee’s preliminary report in a public setting. The report calls for the replacement of the Core Curriculum—and its emphasis on approaches to knowledge—with a program focused on subject matter.

Over a dozen professors spoke—some endorsed the proposal, while others rose to criticize its rationale and the five broad areas of inquiry it would create.

Bass Professor of English and American Literature and Language Louis Menand, the other co-chair of the general education committee, characterized the overall faculty reception as positive.

“There’s clarity and enthusiasm for this option,” Menand said of the subject-matter model.

Simmons said she expected further discussion of that rationale between now and the presentation of a revised report at the Faculty’s next meeting on Dec. 12.

“Coming out of the meeting, it seemed that the biggest issue for us to wrestle with is whether general education should be driven by disciplines or subject matters that can be approached by a number of disciplines,” Simmons said.

Both Menand and Simmons said that they had already heard most of Tuesday’s criticisms in smaller meetings with other committees and departments.

“We’ve had a lot of converts,” Menand said.

Simmons said that the control faculty members now feel over the review process contributed to Tuesday’s productive debate.

“There had been a lot of suspicion about the administration and its role, but now it really feels like the curriculum is in the hands of the faculty,” Simmons said. “It feels like we’re all on a path together now, and it didn’t a few weeks ago.

—Johannah S. Cornblatt can be reached at jcornbl@fas.harvard.edu.