Our Attic vs. Our Upstairs Neighbor

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Then again, if you’re a member of the Harvard Canadian Club or the
By P. KIRKPATRICK Reardon

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Then again, if you’re a member of the Harvard Canadian Club or the Alaska Klub, most dishes are.

And revenge was certainly what the Canadian Club was looking for in their epic confrontation last Friday with the Alaska Klub in a little-known (and perhaps made-up-on-the-spot) northern pastime called “Big Ball.”

The two teams convened at the Weeks Footbridge, the Canadians sporting red and white garb and removable tattoos of their homeland’s flag, and the Alaskans in shorts.

“We’re going to dedicate our victory to taking back the Alaskan Panhandle,” said Canadian Club member Alexander D. Rafael ’07-’08, “also known as the British Columbia Coastline.”

Between the warring squads sat a large yellow ball. Upon inquiring about the rules, Robert J. Gage ’09 replied, “You don’t really have to worry about it.”

And thus the game began, one person shouting go, and then all participants fighting, rugby-style, for possession of the ball.

“A fifth grade gym class” is how one onlooker characterized the melee. “Dodgeball on steroids,” said another.

Fans for the participants looked on, but weren’t sure when to cheer. “I don’t want to root,” said Allison L. Drew ’07 “because I am confused as to who is on which team.”

After regulation time ended with the score tied at 2-2, the referee, Adams House Master John G. “Sean” Palfrey declared sudden death overtime, and the Alaska Klub managed to dig deep and pull out a win for the 49th state.

“We want to dedicate our victory to Richard Petty,” said an Alaskan Club member, apparently ignoring the fact that the NASCAR racer hails from North Carolina. “As far as Richard Petty is concerned, at heart everyone is from Alaska.”

Next week’s competition: geography bee.