CRIMSON LIVE: Men's Hockey @ Vermont

Harvard travels to Burlington for a non-conference tilt

By Crimson Sports Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

UPDATE--FIVE HOURS LATER: For all those out there in blogworld wondering if I ever got my Felipe's quesadilla, the answer is yes. Yes I did.

05:00: That's it from Burlington, as it ends in a 2-2 tie. Final shots: 37 for Harvard, 22 for Vermont.

04:21: Timeout Vermont. Thirty-nine seconds left to go in overtime.

03:08: Icing on Harvard, faceoff in the Crimson zone.

01:30: Meintel gets a 2-on-1 with Watters, but Watters can't control his pass and Vermont clears it.

00:00: Overtime has begun, and an icing is going to bring a faceoff in the Harvard zone.

THIRD INTERMISSION

20:00: Still tied 2-2, we'll be going to overtime. Our ZipCar, Carlos, has been waiting in the parking lot to take us back to Cambridge, and it looks like he'll have to wait a little longer. ¡Espéranos, Carlos!

19:10: Spillane comes up with some more huge saves on some close-up rebound attempts, including a close one from Tyler Magura.

17:24: Big save by Spillane on a shot from Coskren. Face-off in the Vermont zone.

14:58: Now Harvard gets a man-advantage, as Vermont's Tomko has been sent off the ice with a minor.

14:27: Kyle Richter just lost his stick as a Vermont skater crashed into the net, and had to borrow a teammate's, but a whistle blew before he could be tested.

13:19: And that's exactly what the Catamounts do, as a rebound trickles to Colin Vock right at the right post, and he sends it past a sprawling Richter. 2-2 game.

12:47: Penalty on Harvard, as Nick Coskren takes down a Vermont player. He's charged with cross-checking. Great opportunity for the Catamounts to tie it; they're 0-for-2 on the power play so far.

12:04: Harvard comes right back with the pressure, Spillane makes a glove save and we'll have a faceoff in the Vermont zone.

11:14: With a delayed penalty on Vermont and Richter on the bench, Harvard takes advantage of its 6-on-5 advantage to go up 2-1 on a rebound goal by Ian Tallett.

10:20: Richter gets a big kick save--he hasn't faced any huge chances yet this period, but he's definitely been solid.

09:14: Vermont gets a chance from up close on the right side, but it appeared the shot might have been deflected.

02:27: Power play for Vermont, as Fraser is sent off the ice for holding.

01:36: Richter makes a big body save on a shot from the left circle.

00:00: We're back in action, with each team down a man.

STILL SECOND INTERMISSION: A couple of penalties got added at the end of the second, on Vermont's Slavomir Tomko and Harvard's Dave Watters. So we'll have 4-on-4 for two full minutes to start the third.

STILL SECOND INTERMISSSION: The great thing about hot dogs is, the good ones are good, and the bad ones are STILL good. You know?

SECOND INTERMISSION: Harvard's going to need to keep up the pressure if it wants to get out of Burlington with a win. I'm going to need a hot dog if I want to make it through this live blog. P.S.: Burlington's main drawback: no Felipe's Taqueria. Shout-out to KL, EWC, RAS, and anyone else who understands my love of a good quesadilla.

20:00: We go into the second intermission tied at 1. Harvard played the entire second half of that period as though it were on the power play. Mike Spillane played the entire second half of that period as though he were Martin Brodeur. But thanks to Nick Coskren's athletic rebound score, Harvard has managed to tie it up.

17:46: Nick Coskren, flat on the ice, swoops his stick around to knock in a rebound at the left post after another huge stop from Spillane. Harvard finally breaks through, game tied at 1.

17:10: Matt McCollem tries to stuff in a wraparound at the left post, Spillane denies him, then Rolecek tries to net the rebound at the right post, and Spillane is there again. Another excellent chance for the Crimson, another game-saving stop from Spillane.

15:14: Vermont ices it again. Harvard is maintaining strong pressure on the Catamounts' zone.

14:41: Michael Biega sends a pass from behind the left post to Nick Coskren in the slot, but the shot is blocked. Another great chance that just barely failed to connect for Harvard.

13:54: A Vermont stick snaps in half, and the Catamounts ice it as a result. Faceoff in their zone.

11:38: Dufault gets ANOTHER breakaway coming down the middle, and Spillane denies him AGAIN. Spillane has singlehandedly maintained the lead for his team over the past minute.

11:13: Michael Biega hits Dufault streaking down the center, but Dufault's breakaway shot is stuffed by Spillane, then Harvard gets a slapshot from the blue line that Spillane gloves. Excellent goaltending in that sequence.

08:47: Looks like we have coincidental minors--Harvard's Watters for boarding on a huge hit, and Vermont's Kyle Medvec for interference. 4-on-4 for two minutes.

05:00: Matt McCollem takes a shot from the right point, Mike Taylor is waiting near the left post for the rebound, but can't quite connect on the shot.

02:05: Vermont goes ahead 1-0, as Brayden Irwin, waiting in the slot, sends a rebound past Richter into the left side of the net. The original shot on goal/assist goes to Peter Lenes.

00:00: We're back under way in the second period. Vermont takes the opening faceoff.

FIRST INTERMISSION: Do I want to go get a hot dog during the second intermission? It's times like these that thecrimson.com could really use a user polls section. You guys could tell me what condiments to get, etc.

20:00: Nothing comes of the penalty except for a nice shot from the the left faceoff circle from Alex Meintel, which Vermont goaltender Mike Spillane is barely able to stop with a kick save. 0-0 at the break; Harvard has the edge in shots, 12-6, but don't let that fool you--the Catamounts had as many quality chances as the Crimson did.

17:39: The Crimson is going to get another power play, as Vermont's Strong is whistled for slashing.

17:04: Harvard gets a breakaw@f its own, but can't convert it. Vermont ices it, and we'll have a faceoff at the Catamounts' end.

13:44: Kyle Richter makes a save on a Vermont breakaway, then stuffs another attempt from up close.

11:04: Harvard gets a nice chance from the left circle but the shot goes wide, that's the second or third time tonight that a nice setup has gone to waste due to an errant shot.

09:40: As Harvard's penalty ended, a fantastic save by Richter diving from his perch at the right post all the way across the net to smother a shot by Vermont from near the left post. Both teams back to full strength.

07:36: Nice shot by Paul Dufault from the left faceoff circle, but it's saved. And now we have a penalty on Fraser, which means the Catamounts are going to get 1:55 worth of power play of their own. That's slashing on Fraser.

05:40: Vermont's going to have to play a couple of minutes shorthanded, it's the first penalty of the night, on the Catamounts' Dean Strong for roughing.

04:35: Some more pressure in the Harvard zone, and the Crimson finally ices it. Faceoff in the Harvard zone.

02:40: Vermont gets the first real chance of the night, as the Crimson can't clear the puck from behind its net, but the Catamounts are never quite able to kick it out in front.

00:00: Doug Rogers takes the opening faceoff for Harvard, but it goes to the Catamounts.

T-10: The Vermont band features a full drum kit. And a cowbell player in a Santa hat.

T-20: Fans start to fill Catamount Country as the Zamboni puts the finishing touches on the ice. Junior defenseman Brian McCafferty is out with an unspecified injury, and sophomore Ian Tallett is making his second start of the season in his place.

--Staff writer Daniel J. Rubin-Wills is live on the scene at Gutterson Fieldhouse.

Men's Ice Hockey