HUDS Changes Menu Options

By Francesca T. Gilberti, Crimson Staff Writer

Expect more guacamole, more garden burgers, and more cheddar cheese. Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) officials met with students yesterday to discuss the results of last month’s satisfaction survey and decided to implement small changes to meal plan offerings this semester.

Michael R. Ragalie ’09, a member of the HUDS Student Advisory Committee, announced the plans in an e-mail to the Undergraduate Council last night.

He said garden burgers will join boca burgers as vegetarian grill selections in all dining halls.

Varieties of cheese will be served relative to how much was requested in the survey. Cheddar, for instance, will be served about five times a week, rather than just twice weekly as it is now.

“HUDS is going to be a little bit different with the cheeses,” Ragalie said in an interview. “It’s an example of HUDS being very responsive to student concerns.”

Ragalie also wrote in his e-mail that “HUDS has agreed—in principle—to provide guacamole about once every two or three weeks.”

The dining satisfaction survey, in which nearly 700 undergraduates participated, was conducted by HUDS and the Student Advisory Committee in early January. The committee, which consists of nine students appointed by the Undergraduate Council, works with three HUDS administrators.

“We try to make the best out of a very difficult situation, which is that HUDS has a very limited budget,” Ragalie said, citing fruit as a difficult food group to improve because of cost concerns.

HUDS administrators could not be reached at their offices late last night.

—Staff writer Francesca T. Gilberti can reached at gilberti@fas.harvard.edu