The Cutest of the CUE

In honor of shopping period, FM brings you the real course ratings for some of Harvard’s most popular classes. Compiled
By Gracye Y. Cheng and Nicola C. Perlman

In honor of shopping period, FM brings you the real course ratings for some of Harvard’s most popular classes. Compiled with a highly complicated and effective methodology, designed to assess the things that actually matter to the average Harvard student, we present the things the CUE Guide doesn’t want you to know:

SCIENCE B-57: DINOSAURS AND THEIR RELATIVES

Course Description: Science B-57 is a comprehensive exploration (aka memorization) of the most obscure bones of extinct lizards. While it’s billed as an easy way to cop out of the science core, in reality the only thing that’s easy is Professor Marshall’s accent on the ears.

Overall: 3

Relevance to Life: 0

PowerPoint Presentations: N/A (Professor Marshall has gone back to prehistoric times himself and relies solely on the use of overheads)

CHEMISTRY 30: ORGANIC CHEMISTRY

Course Description: Topics include: Carbonyls, pericyclic reactions, stereochemistry, stereoelectric theory, molecular orbital theory, organometallic chemistry, rotovapping, Sn2 reactions, enolation, bromination, Grignard reactions, and pi orbital conjugation, to name a few. WTF?! Students are expected to come out of this course with total comprehension of all theories of organic chemistry. In reality, most obtain just enough knowledge to scrape by on the MCAT.

Overall: .001

Suicide Risk: 5

Primary Reason for Enrolling: Pre-med

Primary Career Path Post-Course: Investment Banking

SOCIAL ANALYSIS 10:

PRINCIPLES OF ECONOMICS

Course Description: Introduction to the basic principles and methods of economics. With almost four times the number of freshmen enrolled than upperclassmen, “Ec 10” also serves as a gigantic mixer for the incoming class of future i-bankers. Time for networking!

Overall: 4

High point: Class in Sanders Theatre (stare at the amazing architecture while you zone out—yes, that’s the only high point)

ENGLISH 193: AN INTRODUCTION TO 20TH CENTURY LITERARY THEORY

Course Description: This course examines New Criticism, phenomenological criticism, psychoanalytical criticism, semiology, the Frankfurt school, blah blah blah blah. You won’t understand a thing Professor de la Durantaye is talking about, but you won’t need to as Professor de la Durantaye (described as “young,” “dapper,” and “just plain hot”) ensures class participation just with his presence.

Overall: 3.5

Professor hotness: 5

Percentage female: > 80%