WEB BRIEF: Pizzotti Named Payton Award Finalist

By Crimson Sports Staff, None

Harvard senior quarterback Chris Pizzotti was named one of sixteen finalists today for the Walter Payton Award, given annually to the best player in NCAA Division 1-AA football.

Pizzotti joins running back William Ford of South Carolina State, wide receiver John Matthews of San Diego and running back-return man Larry Warner of Southern Illinois in being selected as a late addition to the list of candidates for the honor, which will be given out on Dec. 1.

After fighting for a starting role his entire career with the Crimson, Pizzotti returned for a fifth season firmly entrenched at the top of the depth chart after leading Harvard to the Ivy League title during the stretch run last year.

In nine games this season, Pizzotti has completed 63 percent of his passes for 2,381 yards and thrown 17 touchdowns against just four interceptions. He leads the Ivy League and is 11th in the nation with a 149.51 passer efficiency rating.

Pizzotti will look to put the final stamp on his candidacy on Saturday, when Harvard takes on Yale in the 125th edition of The Game in the Crimson's quest to repeat as Ivy League champion.

Football