Senior Class Marshal Finalists Chosen

By Lauren D. Kiel, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard Alumni Association announced the 17 finalists for senior class marshal yesterday, a group which will be narrowed to eight in a second round of balloting to begin today.

These eight students will take on the responsibility of planning senior class activities, helping pick the Class Day speaker, and organizing future alumni events.

The two students with the most votes in the round will be designated first and second marshal.

This year, 17 students advanced to the finalist round, whereas in past years there were 16 finalists. Harvard Alumni Association senior class coordinator Alexandra Monti could not be reached for comment last night about the change in numbers.

Finalist Andres Castro Samayoa ’10 said that, if elected, he hopes to plan events “that are welcoming for everyone and mindful of all the diversities in our class.”

Several of the finalists said that they decided to run for the position to better the events offered for seniors.

Windsor G. Hanger ’10 said that she hoped to improve and increase the number of events during senior week, while Desmond A.M. Mitchell ’10 said that he wants to organize more senior events throughout the year to give the Class of 2010 more opportunities to get together during their last year as undergraduates.

While Anthony R. Britt ’10 said that he is running for marshal because he has enjoyed serving his peers as a member of the Undergraduate Council and enjoys putting on events, he also said that it is a running joke among his friends that if he is elected, he will bring pop singer Shakira to Harvard Yard for Class Day.

So far, campaigning in the marshal race has remained minimal, with some candidates publicizing their candidacies by sending e-mails to their fellow seniors.

Both Hanger and Britt said that they have not yet sent any campaign e-mails but plan to send e-mails during the final round.

In addition to Britt, Castro Samayoa, Hanger, and Mitchell, the other class marshal finalists are Lawrence D. Arbuthnott ’10, Nworah B. Ayogu ’10, Alyssa Q. Colbert ’10, Shiv M. Gaglani ’10, Jamison A. Hill ’10, Neagheen Homaifar ’10, Jarell L. Lee ’10, Kia J. McLeod ’10, Ami A. Nash ’10, Robert B. Niles ’10, Abby D. Philip ’10, George A. George A. Thampy ’10, and Caleb L. Weatherl ’10. Hill is also a Crimson magazine chair, and Phillip is a Crimson news executive.

—Staff writer Lauren D. Kiel can be reached at lkiel@fas.harvard.edu.