The Ancient Art of Text in Adams

A capital “M” is the widest letter in the alphabet. The letter “e” is the most common letter in English.
By Cassandra L. Rasmussen

These are the kinds of things you discover when you learn to “divide language up into its pieces,” said Molly E. Dektar ’12, one of students learning to operate the Bow and Arrow Printing Press last week.

“This is a back-to-the-roots process,” says Rachael E. Levay. Though she is not a Harvard student, Levay—who works in book publishing—attended the introductory class in Adams House on Sunday. This week, she says, she learned to set type, ink and clean the presses, and printed note cards with her monogram.

The press, located in Adams, was first used in the 1950s. Every Thursday night from 7 to 10 p.m. the press is open for use.

“It’s been mothballed on and off,” says Adams non-resident tutor and former graphic designer Theodore “Ted” Ollier. “A House tutor usually finds it and opens it up and starts working it again.”

This time, the press is in the care of Ollier and Zachary C. Sifuentes ’97, resident poetry tutor of Adams. Together they have used the press as a crossroads between visual and literary art.

Enter the Bow and Arrow and you will be greeted by the smell of ink and antique presses that date back to the 1890s. The three presses still in use are from the 1920s, 30s, and 50s. But these aren’t the only historical treasures. Dektar, when prompted,  will excitedly bring out some old zinc press-plates as well. Some, like the delicate image of the Madonna and Child, were from a Boston monastery. Others, like a detailed depiction of two hands, and one of chemical powders in labeled jars, are a mystery.

But the best part about Bow and Arrow, according to Ollier, is the people involved. “This is a self-selected group of people,” he explains. “They tend to be interesting and a little odd in an endearing and fun way...I wouldn’t have it any different.”

For The Moment