Get Out

Sticking around campus for spring break? Jealous of your friends who are sunbathing in the tropics? Well, you can still ...
By NORA A. TUFANO

Sticking around campus for spring break? Jealous of your friends who are sunbathing in the tropics? Well, you can still pretend to go on vacation by leaving Harvard Square. Sure, it may be cold, but at the end of the day you’ll be glad you forewent travel expenses for some local exploration.

1. Eat Your Heart Out

With all the d-halls closed, you can reward yourself by splurging on meals during Boston’s Restaurant Week. Sample various fancy cuisines with prix fixe lunch and dinner menus at all of the city’s top restaurants. Find the details at http://restaurantweekboston.com/.

March 14-19 and 21-26 at participating restaurants.

2. Go For The Green

Head down to Southie, the Irish capital of Boston, for their annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Sunday. On the actual holiday, check out the third annual “Erin Go Beehive” party at the Beehive in the South End, complete with traditional music and Irish step dancing.

Sunday, March 14, 1 p.m., parade begins at Broadway T station

Wednesday, March 17, 5 p.m., The Beehive, 541 Tremont St., Boston

3. Skiing Is Sexy

If you’re looking to go farther from the Harvard Bubble, take a day trip out to the slopes. Wachusett Mountain has a shuttle service on Saturdays and Sundays that runs directly from the commuter rail station at Fitchburg to the mountain for added convenience. Information is at http://www.wachusett.com.

March 14 and before: $49 for weekend all-day lift tickets; After March 15: $46

4. “You Want Fried Rice With That?”

Pretend you’ve actually crossed the globe with a trip into Asian cuisine. Gorge yourself on dim sum at China Pearl, or make your way to the Super 88 in Allston, a Chinese grocery and restaurant mecca, to stock up on all the essentials.

Super 88: 1 Brighton Ave, Allston

China Pearl: 9 Tyler Street, Boston

5. Get Some (Art-Loving) Ass

Feel cultured for free at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. During the week, check out their series on the Films of British Documentarian Kim Longinotto in addition to the art.Series runs March 17-26, Museum of Fine Arts, 465 Huntington Ave., Boston. Admission free for students, $6-$8 for film screenings.

For The Moment