Former Overseer William F. Lee '72 To Serve on Harvard Corporation

Boston-based intellectual property expert to replace James R. Houghton '58

By Elias J. Groll, Crimson Staff Writer

Update 4:59 p.m.

Former Overseer and intellectual property lawyer William F. Lee ’72 has been selected to serve on the Harvard Corporation—the University’s highest governing body—the University announced today.

The selection of the first Asian American to the Corporation marks a milestone in the governing body’s history, and Lee’s appointment comes 10 years after the Corporation selected its first black member, Conrad K. Harper.

Lee will replace long-serving member James R. Houghton ’58, who joined the Corporation in 1995 and, in 2002, became its senior fellow—a position members have in the past described as a first among equals.

“[Lee] has interests and experience that range from law and education and public service to science and technology and medicine,” said Robert D. Reischauer, ’63, who chaired the search committee and will succeed Houghton as senior fellow. “And he’s stayed closely involved with Harvard across the years.”

Lee is currently a co-managing partner of the law firm WilmerHale, one of the nation’s most prestigious law firms.

Lee has also taught intellectual property litigation courses as well as the problem-solving workshop introduced this year at Harvard Law School.

The former Adams House resident graduated from the College magna cum laude in 1972 and subsequently received business and law degrees from Cornell.

Lee will begin his term on the Corporation when Houghton steps down on July 1.

—Staff writer Elias J. Groll can be reached at egroll@fas.harvard.edu.

Central Administration