Currier House Names Meisner Acting Dean

Robert C. Meisner, a former Dunster House resident tutor and a 2008 graduate of Harvard Medical School, will replace former Currier House dean Laura K. Johnson.
By Noah J. Delwiche, Crimson Staff Writer

UPDATED: January 13, 2015, at 10:31 p.m.

Robert C. Meisner, a clinical fellow in psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital and a Harvard Medical School graduate, has been appointed Currier House’s acting dean. Meisner will fill the post that former dean Laura K. Johnson vacated at the end of the fall semester for a position at Boston University's School of Education.

Meisner completed his undergraduate studies at Princeton and later studied cultural anthropology as a Ph.D. candidate at Harvard. During that time, he also wrote for Harvard Student Agencies’ “Let’s Go” travel guide in Bolivia.

Currier House Masters Richard W. Wrangham and Elizabeth A. Ross informed Currier affiliates of Meisner’s appointment in an email late last week.

Meisner, who is also a former Dunster House resident tutor and graduated from the Medical School in 2008, expressed excitement for the role he will play in shaping Currier’s House life.

“The most exciting thing is the opportunity to work with extraordinary students and tutors in helping Currier continue to do the things that it’s done so well so far,” he said.

Robert C. Meisner, a former Dunster House resident tutor and a 2008 graduate of Harvard Medical School, will replace former Currier House dean Laura K. Johnson. By Courtesy of Robert C. Meisner

Wrangham and Johnson were unavailable to comment on the appointment because they are in Uganda with poor phone and internet service. But in their email to Currier residents, the pair wrote that they were “very excited” to announce Meisner’s appointment.

Although Meisner said the new role will mark his first official position in Currier, he said he has already noticed a unique and thriving House spirit there.

“I think there’s a lot of Quad-specific enthusiasm and energy that’s very exciting,” Meisner said.

He said that he has spent much of winter break studying the Administrative Board. Like deans in all the Houses, Meisner will serve on the College’s primary disciplinary body.

Shortly before undergraduates arrive back on campus, Meisner said he will introduce himself over email. Afterwards, he said he will meet with students in study breaks, House committee meetings, and other House-related events.

“Learning so many names all at once is going to be a challenge,” Meisner said, laughing, when prompted to describe a specific difficulty he might face.

“I’m really excited to work with all the students and staff at Currier, and look forward to an exciting semester,” he added.

—Staff writer Noah J. Delwiche can be reached at noah.delwiche@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @ndelwiche.

This article has been revised to reflect the following clarification:

CLARIFICATION: January 13, 2015

An earlier version of this article and its headline stated that Robert C. Meisner has been appointed to serve as Currier House's dean. To clarify, he is the acting dean.

House LifeCollege LifeCollege News