Students Gather for Vigil Commemorating Recent Global Tragedies

A community member cradles a candle at the vigil held on the steps of Memorial Church Monday evening.
By Emma K. Talkoff, Crimson Staff Writer

Around 60 students bearing candles gathered on the steps of Memorial Church on Monday evening for a vigil commemorating recent global tragedies. The vigil, which was hosted by the Harvard Foundation, included a moment of silence and brief speeches from members of the Foundation, as well as an open speaking invitation to students wishing to share thoughts on recent violence.

The service comes in the wake of Friday’s Paris terror attacks, which left nearly 130 dead, and aimed to commemorate “those from around the world who have suffered from violence, terrorism, and displacement,” Foundation Director S. Allen Counter said to the assembled crowd. Counter named Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Israel, Palestine, and Algeria as other sites of recent violence and tragedy.

A community member cradles a candle at the vigil held on the steps of Memorial Church Monday evening. By Lauren A. Sierra

“There’s a tendency to kind of empathize more with those we feel more personally connected to, and it’s important to recognize that tragedies happen all over the world,” said foundation intern and vigil organizer Irfan Mahmud ’16, who is also an inactive Crimson editor. “We want to be as inclusive as possible.”

Students appreciated the opportunity to show solidarity with victims of recent violence.

“I’m here to reflect, and just keep it in mind,” Jeffery P. Durand ’17 said. “Things like these should not be forgotten.”

Several students also spoke at the event, expressing sadness at the recent attacks in Paris and gratitude for the support shown at the vigil.

The vigil’s status was unclear for several hours during the day because of the unconfirmed bomb threat that precipitated the evacuation of several nearby buildings and the temporary closure of the Yard. However, Mahmud said that there was no question that the event would be held once the threat had been cleared.

“[Memorial Church] is an important space to have, and even more so in light of the events today,” he said. He added that the scare made it easier for students to empathize with the tragedies overseas.

While Mahmud said that the threat might have hurt the vigil’s attendance, some students said the events of Monday afternoon inspired them to attend.

“When the go ahead was given, I felt that it was even more important to come,” said Juan P. Miramontes ’17.

—Staff writer Emma K. Talkoff can be reached at emmatalkoff@college.harvard.edu.

CollegeStudent GroupsStudent LifeCollege LifeMemorial ChurchCollege News