Letters

Letter to the Editor: Supporting Our Students, Staff and Colleagues in the Wake of Racist Attacks

By Sergio Delgado, Virginie Greene, and Mariano Siskind

To the Editor:

In recent days, members of the Romance Languages and Literatures department have been verbally harassed in and around campus on account of their immigrant status. One member in particular was assaulted with hot coffee and harassed with racial slurs just outside of the Harvard Yard.

In the face of these shocking and abhorrent events, we write to express our unconditional support for our students, our staff, our colleagues, our friends.

We will not be intimidated by these cowardly attacks and we will stand in vigorous support of any member of our community affected by or concerned with the racist, xenophobic, misogynistic state of affairs sanctioned by the most recent presidential election. We strongly condemn these and all acts of violence, these and all acts of hateful speech.

We stand united in defense of immigrant rights.

Sincerely,

Sergio Delgado
Virginie Greene
Mariano Siskind

Sergio Delgado is an Associate Professor of Romance Languages and Literatures. Virginie Greene is a Professor of Romance Languages and Literatures. Mariano Siskind is a Professor of Romance Languages and Literatures and Comparative Literature, and the Chair of the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures.

This letter has been signed by 96 members of the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures (faculty, students and staff). Their names can be found here.

Letters