Ryan Reynolds Named Hasty Pudding’s 2017 Man of the Year

By Junina Furigay and Kenton K. Shimozaki, Crimson Staff Writers

Ryan Reynolds, a producer and Golden Globe-nominated actor known for his roles in many box office hits, will be the Hasty Pudding Theatricals 2017 Man of the Year.

Reynolds is widely known for his roles in in superhero films including “Green Lantern” and “X-Men Origins: Wolverine.” Last year, Reynolds starred as Wade Wilson in “Deadpool,” which shattered box office records to become the highest-grossing R-rated film ever.

Hasty Pudding Theatricals cast members will honor Reynolds with a traditional roast Feb. 3, the club announced Friday. The musical comedy troupe will also award him the “Pudding Pot” at Farkas Hall, which houses their annual production. A live-streamed press conference will follow the ceremony, which the group said will be available to the public for the first time this year.

Established in 1963, the Hasty Pudding Theatricals' Man of the Year Award is presented annually to performers who have made “lasting and impressive contributions to the world of entertainment.” In a press release, the Hasty Pudding Theatricals praised Reynolds’s recent acting performances and box office successes.

"We're thrilled to present Mr. Reynolds with our Man of the Year award,” Guan Chen ’17, president of the Hasty Pudding Theatricals, said in the release. “And if his headline-stealing kiss with Andrew Garfield at the Golden Globes is any indication, it looks like he's getting ready for his roast."

Outside of the entertainment industry, Reynolds serves on the board of the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. He made headlines in 2008 after running the New York City Marathon to raise money for the foundation in honor of his father, who suffers from the disease.

Recent recipients of the Man of the Year award include, Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, Harrison Ford, Justin Timberlake, Neil Patrick Harris, and last year, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who was the group’s 50th Man of the Year.

—Staff writer Junina Furigay can be reached at junina.furigay@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @junina_furigay.

CollegeHasty Pudding TheatricalsClubsCollege News